Mini lotus and water lilly in tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried? I got some mini lotus and water lilly seeds from amazon, some people spoke of it being ok for aquarium but usually it's germinated in a bowl or jar of water then allowed to grow to bud, then planted in aquatic soil in a container of water like an artificial pond, and during the time it is in water, the water is changed daily, I'm wondering, won't it contaminate the tank?

dont think so, it will be cool but i htink it will explode in growth

No idea why you need to change the water daily.

Most water lilies and lotus get too big for the average aquarium. However, you can still grow them in tanks. Put the seed in a pot with some gravel and plant fertiliser and put the pot in the tank.

We use to grow plants in 1 or 2 litre plastic icecream containers. You put an inch of gravel in the bottom of the container, then spread a thin layer of granulated garden fertiliser over the gravel. Put a 1/4inch (6mm) thick layer of red/ orange clay over the fertiliser. Dry the clay first and crush it into a powder. Then cover that with more gravel.
You put the plants in the gravel and as they grow, their roots hit the clay and fertiliser and they take off and go nuts. The clay stops the fertiliser leaching into the water.

You can smear silicon on the outside of the buckets and stick gravel or sand to them so it is less conspicuous. Or you can let algae grow on them and the containers turn green.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back