Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi "extending eyes"

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

maxxal22

Reaction score
Hi, so my Ramirezi female has eyes that come outward a bit, whereas the male has eyes basically on the same level as his body. I will upload a pic tomorrow, but to describe it in words:

The eyes come out as if they are cylinders, on which the eyes themselves are. When seen from the front, you look towards an extended, round part (white in colour).

Is my Ramirezi ok, or does it need help of some kind?

Sounds like it could be pop-eye. If that is the case, it is easily treatable. I will wait to see a pic first...

I agree. Any chance of a clear photo, or short 20 video of the fish?

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?
Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

Test your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH. Post the results in numbers here.
Post a picture that clearly shows the issue.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the problem is identified or resolved.
*NB* Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it yet unless it's dirty and the water flow is reduced.

Pop eye is usually caused by poor water quality and a dirty tank. Dirty tanks allow bacteria to build up in number and infect the fish. The fish get weaker from the poor environment. Doing big daily water changes will sometimes fix the problem without the need for medications.

She is breathing heavily and has pop eye.

There is also heaps of fish food floating around the tank and that is not helping. You should crumble the food up so it's smaller and easier for the fish to eat. Don't put as much food in when you feed them. Put a little bit in and let them eat it, then offer a bit more if they are still hungry.

Try doing a big water change and gravel clean. If there's no improvement after 24 hours, then you will need to treat with anti-biotics, but they might not help and could wipe out the filter.

I put in the food 5 seconds before filming, and I deliberately put some of it under the surface so it sinks down for a bit and my Neon tetra's get to eat as well :)

I'll change the water, and what kind of antibiotics would I need?

I can't advise on different brands or types of anti-biotics because different countries have different regulations regarding their availability. But use whatever is available from your local pet shop.

Would something like Esha 2000 work? My pet shop won't open till tuesday, but I can't go there before thursday :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back