Might Have Goofed On This One

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AcerbusSicarius

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just set up my tank and got a few fish (don't worry I let it cycle for about a week before adding them) and I noticed when I got my Marble Mollies home that one of them looked quite large. I was in a giddy rush at the store and didn't notice while I was there. After doing some looking around on the internet I think it is safe to say its a she and she is pregnant. Here is my issue though I only have a 30 ltr. tank and I already have 4 fish in it. So first off how on earth do I handle the pregnancy and second do I need to get a bigger tank or is their somewhere I can take the fry? By the way I live in the U.K. if anyone knows any where I can take em here.

Thanks for the Help :)

Most of the fry will get eaten by the parents, so you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Your biggest problem is that your tank (well, technically your filter media) isn't cycled. Cycling is a lot more involved than just letting the tank run for a week; you need to be adding a source of ammonia for the good bacteria to feed on, or they won't grow.

You're now in what we call a 'fish-in' cycle. You will need to get some test kits; ammonia and nitrite are the important ones. Until then, change as much of the water in the tank as you can, every day. Leave just enough water for the fish to swim upright (don't forget to switch your heater and filter off first!) before refilling with temperature matched, dechlorinated water.

I'm afraid, long term, a 30l tank isn't big enough for mollies, which can grow to 3 to 4". In a tank of that size, you really want to be looking at fish that grow to around an inch; male Endler's or guppies, or one of the smaller rasboras or tetras.

I am sorry to say but unless you used mature media then your tank is not cycled. You will find plenty of information on cycling in the beginners resource centre.

Edit: Beaten to the punch!

I did the whole ammonia and bacteria thing before adding the fish and tested it before even buying anything. Everything turned up green on that. So really my options are bigger tank or try and get different fish and find a better home for these guys.

If your tank is fully cycled in a week then PLEEEASE tell me what magic you used, cos honestly you could patent that and sell it for cash! I'd give you good money lol ;)

Now I feel really bad and really stupid. I got myself all rushed up and yeah :( Thanks again guys. I'll try and figure something for the poor little guys

Don't feel bad, you aren't the first, you won't be the last.

What did you do precisely when you said you did the whole ammonia/bacteria thing?

Dont worry dude, you can help your fish right away by doing a large water change. If you want to keep the fish you can keep doing water changes every day until there is no more ammonia NH3 and nitrite NO2.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back