Micro particles

Pricey95

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm running a 300l tank with a sump and a tmc return pump rated for 4000lph. I cannot get rid of micro stuff in the tank. I know its not micro bubbles as once the pumps off the particles remain still.

I've tried different micron socks, loads of floss to polish the small particles out, carbon, Clarity treatment, pump on full to turn water over + water on the lowest setting. Adjusting flow, tried wave makers. I'm starting to think its the black background making stuff stick out like a sword thumb. 🤔
Screenshot_20210802-144425_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
You need to turn your phone on its side when filming so the image fills the entire screen.

The white particles just look like debris in the water. A decent sponge filter should pick them up.

You need to turn your phone on its side when filming so the image fills the entire screen.

The white particles just look like debris in the water. A decent sponge filter should pick them up.
Yeh I cleaned my filter and worked like a charm

Lovely fish!! Have you tried "Poly Filter"(brand) Bio pad?

I've not had this problem but I have seen it strongly recommended by various people so if you as still having difficulties I think it is worth a shot.

Poly Filter looks a bit like filter floss but is is stiff. It's main use it to remove chemicals from the water but it will probably trap small particles as well.
It used to be made by Underworld but Arcadia now make it, though on-line sellers could use either company name.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0036TB2CC/?tag=

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sumps are great, but it seems to me that a 'problem' with sump filtration is that it's dependent on filtering water that overflows. But many small particulates may remain circulating in the water column in the tank. I love sponge filters (use several) but not so much in display tank. I think you might consider adding a HOB strictly to polish the water... and for HOB's I'd suggest the Fluval Aquaclear 70 filled with sponge and/or floss material. I believe that this would give you the water clarity that you are looking for.
When time permits you might also take a deep dive into Filtration and Water Quality. :)

At the risk of upsetting some, you could consider this; API Aquaclear.
It was @AbbeysDad's mention of the Aquaclear filter that reminded me of this. I've used it once or twice in my time and it worked a treat.
Accu-Clear is a water clarifier intended to bind tiny (cloudy water) particles together so the filter can trap them. Not really the case here and these clarifyers are really hard on fish gills.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Accu-Clear is a water clarifier intended to bind tiny (cloudy water) particles together so the filter can trap them. Not really the case here and these clarifyers are really hard on fish gills.
My mistake with the spelling and yes, I only used it in fishless tanks for the reason you mention.

Hi all. I used to think sumps were the best thing since sliced bread but I've reverted back to internal/external filters. As AbbeysDad pointed out, sumps rely on overflowing water being filtered.
Pricey95. I'd suggest putting a small internal filter in the tank and fill it with fine filter floss (keep the sump running) and see if it clears up after a day or so. My main tank is around 550 litres and alongside my external filter, I use a small Fluval internal with nothing but floss in it. I throw the dirty floss away and refill every few weeks. The beneficial bacteria in my external means discarding all the dirty floss causes no problem. My water is absolutely gin-clear since using this simple method. I hope you have success whichever way you go.
Cheers,
Skits.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back