Mick's Nano side hussle

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mick85

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So as some of you have probably figured out from how many build threads I have with nano shrimp bowls/jars etc, I have a bit of a thing for them haha.

I've had a few family members and friends who have seen my little tanks and suggested I should make some and sell them. So that's exactly what I'm doing!

After a week of advertising on Facebook marketplace I had heaps of enquiry and took 3 orders to build nano tanks. 2 planted bowls and a planted jar for a long armed shrimp.

I'll use this thread to show you some of my work!

Here's the first bowl I've just completed.

So the bowl itself is about 28cm tall and 26cm in diameter, holds around 12L of water.
20210816_140807.jpg
Added some organic garden soil
20210816_141740.jpg
Then a layer of ADA Amazonia 2.0/gravel mix
20210816_142756.jpg
And finally a layer of ADA La Plata sand.
20210816_143209.jpg
Added some hardscape (spiderwood and seriyu stone) then some coarser gravel for details.
20210816_162818.jpg
20210816_162827.jpg
Finally I got to the planting. So there's dwarf hairgrass at the front. Anubias Nana on the wood. Amazon sword behind the wood. Hygro and A.R mini to the left. Water sprite and A.R to the right. Pink baby tears to the rear right and filigree milfoil to the rear left.
20210817_102035.jpg20210817_102044.jpg20210817_102053.jpg

What do you use for heaters in these things? I have a 1 gallon bowl that I started. Right now it just has plants, but I'm interested in getting a couple of shrimp to go inside, but the water is only about 70 degrees at room temperature.

What do you use for heaters in these things? I have a 1 gallon bowl that I started. Right now it just has plants, but I'm interested in getting a couple of shrimp to go inside, but the water is only about 70 degrees at room temperature.
16292551403696377989443475514548.jpg

I use these. The hard part with such little tanks is keeping a steady water temp. These seem to keep the water between 23-25 degrees C in my bowl/jars.

Wow nice! Isn't there a thing on facebook marketplace where you can't sell live stuff?

Wow nice! Isn't there a thing on facebook marketplace where you can't sell live stuff?
I'm not selling livestock, just the tank with everything else in it. Substrate, plants, rocks and wood.

Started a couple more tanks today. Just waiting on some dwarf hairgrass and a few other plants I've ordered to arrive.
20210818_193452.jpg

So as some of you have probably figured out from how many build threads I have with nano shrimp bowls/jars etc, I have a bit of a thing for them haha.

I've had a few family members and friends who have seen my little tanks and suggested I should make some and sell them. So that's exactly what I'm doing!

After a week of advertising on Facebook marketplace I had heaps of enquiry and took 3 orders to build nano tanks. 2 planted bowls and a planted jar for a long armed shrimp.

I'll use this thread to show you some of my work!

Here's the first bowl I've just completed.

So the bowl itself is about 28cm tall and 26cm in diameter, holds around 12L of water.
View attachment 141620
Added some organic garden soil
View attachment 141621
Then a layer of ADA Amazonia 2.0/gravel mix
View attachment 141622
And finally a layer of ADA La Plata sand.
View attachment 141623
Added some hardscape (spiderwood and seriyu stone) then some coarser gravel for details.
View attachment 141624
View attachment 141625
Finally I got to the planting. So there's dwarf hairgrass at the front. Anubias Nana on the wood. Amazon sword behind the wood. Hygro and A.R mini to the left. Water sprite and A.R to the right. Pink baby tears to the rear right and filigree milfoil to the rear left.
View attachment 141626View attachment 141627View attachment 141628
Adorable and fantastic idea to sell them!

Neat little bowls...will you advise buyers on how to cycle and stock them?

I shudder to think of some of the fish that people may try to keep in these things...

Last edited:
Neat little tanks...will you advise buyers on how to cycle and stock them?

I shudder to think of some of the fish that people may try to keep in these things...
Yeh I explain as much as I can to them. I've got a guide to cycling an aquarium on my FB page and on my ad I do say that these bowls/jars are not suitable for fish.

Yeh I explain as much as I can to them. I've got a guide to cycling an aquarium on my FB page and on my ad I do say that these bowls/jars are not suitable for fish.
maybe do up a cute little pamphlet of inhabitants that could work.
but yes, having them go to a fb page or website is a fantastic idea!

Most reactions

trending

Back