FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Picked up some silver dollars today at my LFS. They were labelled up has Striped silver dollars
20220305_202345.jpg

Am i right in thinking these are also known in the hobby has Tiger Silver dollars or are they a different variety?
20220305_202312.jpg

Taxonomic confusion is rife in the literature dealing with Metynnis species. There are 28 nominal species and only 16 are recognized as valid. The elevated number of synonyms is probably a consequence of the enormous variability of body shape and color pattern, which in turn are highly influenced by ontogeny and sexual dimorphism (Zarske & Géry, 1999; Jégu, 2003; Pavanelli et al., 2009; Ota et al., 2013; Ota et al., 2016).

The taxonomy of the genus is still confused and impeded by high ontogenetic variability and sexual dimorphism that includes the presence versus absence of the anal-fin lobe, the elongation of the first dorsal-fin rays, and variation in body coloration (Zarske & Géry, 1999; Pavanelli et al ., 2009; Ota et al ., 2013).

M. fasciatus was initially described as a distinct species by Ahl in 1931, but the loss of the type specimens caused later biologists to question whether this was a valid species or the type specimens had been juveniles of another species (which do show stripes, at least sometimes). Zarske & Gery (1999) sorted this out and confirmed the distinct species.

The photos above would seem to be M. fasciatus.

Taxonomic confusion is rife in the literature dealing with Metynnis species. There are 28 nominal species and only 16 are recognized as valid. The elevated number of synonyms is probably a consequence of the enormous variability of body shape and color pattern, which in turn are highly influenced by ontogeny and sexual dimorphism (Zarske & Géry, 1999; Jégu, 2003; Pavanelli et al., 2009; Ota et al., 2013; Ota et al., 2016).

The taxonomy of the genus is still confused and impeded by high ontogenetic variability and sexual dimorphism that includes the presence versus absence of the anal-fin lobe, the elongation of the first dorsal-fin rays, and variation in body coloration (Zarske & Géry, 1999; Pavanelli et al ., 2009; Ota et al ., 2013).

M. fasciatus was initially described as a distinct species by Ahl in 1931, but the loss of the type specimens caused later biologists to question whether this was a valid species or the type specimens had been juveniles of another species (which do show stripes, at least sometimes). Zarske & Gery (1999) sorted this out and confirmed the distinct species.

The photos above would seem to be M. fasciatus.
Out of interest. When you make a post like this do you do it out of memory (which can I say is impressive), or do you do a copy and paste from google (not so impressive)

Out of interest. When you make a post like this do you do it out of memory (which can I say is impressive), or do you do a copy and paste from google (not so impressive)

The data comes from my series of profiles of freshwater fish and plant species that I wrote for another forum in 2010-2012 when they were building a knowledge section and asked me to manage it. TFF prohibits links to other forums (rightly so, I agree) so I copy/paste the relevant data from my own original copies of the profiles rather than linking the profiles themselves. I usually check scientific sources (like the Eschmeyer's Catalog of Fishes maintained by the California Academy of Science) for any updates ( a lot of research can occur in more than a decade).

The source of the information in my profiles was/is all scientific. Seriously Fish, Planet Catfish, Loaches Online, CorydorasWorld, etc. I also had/have an online relationship with several ichthyologists and biologists. I never use Google. I do use Google Scholar to find scientific papers, then I use the data from those if relevant. All the data I use is from accredited scientific sources, always.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back