Methylene blue for Cory eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Anthony1976

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone I’m hoping someone can help me please. I’ve had a couple of tries at hatching Cory eggs out and have failed on the final day of them hatching out. You can see that they’ve tried to hatch but something is killing them as they come out of the egg on the third day. I am using a drop of prime in the hatching container with three drops of methylene blue and I used half tank water and half new water in this container. My nitrates are at an acceptable level at around five . So my thinking is should I just use tank water and nothing else for hatching the eggs out? And should I water change the methylene blue out just before they hatch? I’ve seen other people hatch them out with the blue still in the water and other people say to get rid of it before they hatch out. Thanks everyone

Try and condition the new water with prime before adding to the hatching container.. it might not help a great deal but it could do a little

It’s best to use same tank water add a little methylene blue enough to make the water go slightly blue you should be able to see right through the water,

I use methylene blue on many types of egg layers including corydoras eggs and it works well

A couple of killifish fry hatched yesterday
IMG_9327 (640x480).jpg

I use alder cones with good success.
Do you use an airline?
Yes I use an air stone in the plastic tub . I float the container in another designated tank with the heater underneath the tub as the container is too small to put a heater in

I use methyline blue and the day before mine hatch I do 2 50% water changes on the container and then when they hatch make sure to do alot of water changes because I have had trouble keeping them alive. I just tried not using anything to keep the fungus off and only like 5 of the eggs had fungus and the rest hatched today. And when you do the water changes on the container use the water from the tank that they are in. It took me like 3 trys untill I got my cory fry to hatch and survive. Also everyone says that you need more males than females but I have 4 females and one male and mine spawn like once a week and they are always fertilized.

I use methyline blue and the day before mine hatch I do 2 50% water changes on the container and then when they hatch make sure to do alot of water changes because I have had trouble keeping them alive. I just tried not using anything to keep the fungus off and only like 5 of the eggs had fungus and the rest hatched today. And when you do the water changes on the container use the water from the tank that they are in. It took me like 3 trys untill I got my cory fry to hatch and survive. Also everyone says that you need more males than females but I have 4 females and one male and mine spawn like once a week and they are always fertilized.
Ok thanks Derek I will change the blue out the day before they hatch . I have had one success using an egg tumbler but since then they have fungused over because one got fur on it and they are all touching each other all the time when moving around so that’s why I have gone the container and meth blue way

I use my finger to get them off of my plants and I rub them of into the container and they all seperate that way when one gets fungus they all dont. But if you use a credit card or razor blade they will stick together.

I use my finger to get them off of my plants and I rub them of into the container and they all seperate that way when one gets fungus they all dont. But if you use a credit card or razor blade they will stick together.
Ok I will do this in future thanks very much for the help Derek much appreciated

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back