Metel Screews Etc In My Tank. ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

danny ..

Reaction score
:blink: hi guys ,just a quick one iv brought a large piece of bog wood and soaked it in water for over a week now and the thing just wont sink! it feels like it wont ever sink as it floats up reather fast etc .

so iv got a load of old slate i had in my tank and just screwed a flat piece onto the bottom of the wood :good: sorted but will the screws cause my fish an problems??? there brand new crome steel screws!!!! any ideas would be good. thanks :good:

they'll corrode and you'll have a big problem. my advice to you would be to purchase some actual aquarium-suited wood.

i think boiling wood will help make it sink, also you can drill holes in it in places you cant see to help it absorb more water. and if you want to attatch it to slate or something get some aquarium specific silicone. dont use normal sealant silicone, ahs to be fishtank safe, and your screws will eventually rust.

Take the screws out & tied the wood to the slate with some fishing line or thick cotten. You can remove the string later when the wood sinks all by itself.

i used to use brass screws or
stainless steel if could get my hands
on them the only other thing is to throw
it in the water butt out side if you have one
for abouts three months or how ever long it
take boiling will help but not always all depends
if its true bog wood or drift wood

I've used brass or stainless steel screws long term with no problems. Years back I had a plain steel clip & some string I used for feeding zuke to plecs. It got rusty, eventually fell apart, the fish weren't bothered at all. I imagine the biggest problem with a plain steel screw is that it will do the same, resulting in the wood no longer being attached.

well i couldnt see the wood sinking any time soon as it floated up fast. i tryed drilling holes in the parts u wont see but no joy ,and i brought the bogwood from the a5 aquatics with proper fish lables on saying bog wood etc .i put 1 stainless steel screw through the slate and up into the wood and its worked a treat so im gonna leave it for now.the screw and slate is under the gravel so not visable and i cant see there beeing much of a problem with one small screw. thanks alot for the coments guys and gals :good:

well i couldnt see the wood sinking any time soon as it floated up fast. i tryed drilling holes in the parts u wont see but no joy ,and i brought the bogwood from the a5 aquatics with proper fish lables on saying bog wood etc .i put 1 stainless steel screw through the slate and up into the wood and its worked a treat so im gonna leave it for now.the screw and slate is under the gravel so not visable and i cant see there beeing much of a problem with one small screw. thanks alot for the coments guys and gals :good:

I am currently having the same issue. Lovely bit of wood, but as its hollow, its naturally buoyant. Despite soaking etc etc etc, it still wouldnt sink. I got some steel from B and Q and tied that to it which made it sink (as the rock wouldnt work due to its shape). But true enough, after a week it rusted. I did an iron test and it was sky high!!

Your idea of screwing stone to it is a good one! I like it! I think i will try it! Just now there is more gardening wire keeping my bogwood down then there is bogwood!

I am currently having the same issue. Lovely bit of wood, but as its hollow, its naturally buoyant. Despite soaking etc etc etc, it still wouldnt sink. I got some steel from B and Q and tied that to it which made it sink (as the rock wouldnt work due to its shape). But true enough, after a week it rusted. I did an iron test and it was sky high!!

Your idea of screwing stone to it is a good one! I like it! I think i will try it! Just now there is more gardening wire keeping my bogwood down then there is bogwood!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back