Metals and shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

I know someone might have poste this before but was just wondering are there any metals that are safe for shrimp? I want to hang little plant pots (I bought shot glasses as they were small0 in the new aquarium however I wondered if there was a metal chain I could buy that wont harm them or the snails. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I know someone might have poste this before but was just wondering are there any metals that are safe for shrimp? I want to hang little plant pots (I bought shot glasses as they were small0 in the new aquarium however I wondered if there was a metal chain I could buy that wont harm them or the snails. Thanks in advance.
I’m not too sure but I do know one thing, do NOT use copper.

Stainless steel and iron.
Iron will rust but it's safe for fish and shrimp if you do regular water changes.
Stainless steel doesn't rust and is safe for fish and shrimp.

There are several metals that are harmful to invertebrates and fish. Some are the heavy metals...copper, iron, zinc, manganese--all of which ironically are also needed plant nutrients--and some we would not likely normally see in an aquarium (mercury, cadmium, arsenic, chromium, thallium, and lead) though they might be relevant. I personally would never put any metallic items in a tank with fish and/or invertebrates. Some bacteria might also be killed.

I mentioned the plant nutrients that are heavy metals. Reliable plant supplements will not have sufficient of these to kill bacteria, plants, fish or invertebrates unless you overdose obviously. And most water conditioners detoxify heavy metals in case they turn up in the source water. Fish generally have a much lower tolerance for these than do humans, so what may be safe for human consumption could be deadly for fish and invertebrates; copper is one of these, which for those with copper water pipes can sometimes be an issue particularly with new or corroding pipes. The detoxification by water conditioners is temporary, not permanent.

Have you seen the little clear plastic cups that stick to the side of the tank and you can put plants in them?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back