Meme

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Releases from aircraft, or from land-based vehicles?
Both. Over a few summers many years ago I got to participate in a number of alpine lake surveys for the specific purpose of identifying lakes to stock and what type of stocking to use. We surveyed the perimeters of the lakes, checked the input and output flows of the creeks in an out, if present (a number of alpine lake don't have either). We also measured the dissolved O2, depths, and water temperatures. We did not take pH readings but all our surveys were in the front ranges of the rockies where limestone and limey shales predominated the bedrock. When stocking time came some of us also did post stocking assessments, hiking into the lakes before the drop then using a small inflatable to check for mortalities. In all honesty there are always some mortalities but the mortalities from the airdrops did not seem statistically more numerous than by the other method and the mortalities were due to physical damage either by the loading of the fish or the release. The drop doesn't appear to hurt them. I cannot find the original work I was involved with but here is a paper from a similar study done south of the border at a similar time. https://collaboration.idfg.idaho.go...s of,planted in the littoral zone of the lake.

Speaking of memes, here's one I made (much) earlier...

Aquarists.jpg

Both. Over a few summers many years ago I got to participate in a number of alpine lake surveys for the specific purpose of identifying lakes to stock and what type of stocking to use. We surveyed the perimeters of the lakes, checked the input and output flows of the creeks in an out, if present (a number of alpine lake don't have either). We also measured the dissolved O2, depths, and water temperatures. We did not take pH readings but all our surveys were in the front ranges of the rockies where limestone and limey shales predominated the bedrock. When stocking time came some of us also did post stocking assessments, hiking into the lakes before the drop then using a small inflatable to check for mortalities. In all honesty there are always some mortalities but the mortalities from the airdrops did not seem statistically more numerous than by the other method and the mortalities were due to physical damage either by the loading of the fish or the release. The drop doesn't appear to hurt them. I cannot find the original work I was involved with but here is a paper from a similar study done south of the border at a similar time. https://collaboration.idfg.idaho.gov/FisheriesTechnicalReports/Hat-Starr1986 Alternative Methods for Stocking Mountain Lakes - McCall Fish Hatchery.pdf#:~:text=Stocking lakes by helicopter combined the advantages of,planted in the littoral zone of the lake.
Very cool, thanks for the link

I participated in a number of releases and don't remember seeing any fish floating to the top.
Maybe there was a group of big predatory fish sitting under the chopper eating them as they hit the water.

-------------------
Hey @Colin_T
I hear it rains fish in Western Australia
Click youtube link
Yeah it happens from time to time, and not just here. It happens in the US and Indonesia too. Fish get picked up by cyclones (hurricanes) and dropped off wherever. It's not commonly seen but is on the news every 10 years or so.

Let me get this strait.

They get custom-made airplanes that can land on water to drop fish to restock lakes. Not supporting deforestation or anything, but wouldn't it be easier if they just made a little shack with fish breeding stuff for them to breed, instead of chartering the fish out to their new home. It must be one of the bad planes. It's probably so crowded, and the seats are plastic. I hope they didn't pay to much for their flight!

There was a character on a British comedy program (Lee & Herring? - I forget) called Shadwell.

His grannie was frightened of the floor. He said "Why are you frightened of the floor?. The floor can't hurt you? If you were frightened of the roof I could understand that - you could fall." And she said "The roof's alright, and falling's alright. It's when you hit the floor it kills you."

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back