Members MIA

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Status
Not open for further replies.
TFF is not going anywhere. If others can put up with me, they can put up with anything. lol.... :)
Not going to argue but with all of the Social media now available, forums are dying off. There are only a few fish forums left. Youā€™ll think back on my words one day. If changes arenā€™t made, you become extinct. Just like the dinosaurs. I hope Iā€™m wrong but I just see the writing on the wall. By the way, Iā€™m spending time on. TFF because the other fish forum I was on is now dead. I was just trying to offer a suggestion to hold on. I will enjoy the forum and hope it survives the changing times. Hope I didnā€™t upset anyone.

I donā€™t see @PheonixKingZ quoting/posting that in this thread. Maybe iā€™m blind?
I think what happened was SeaAngel accidentally started typing in the ā€œquote boxā€ thing, so it makes it look like PK said that and SeaAngel was quoting him, but it was just an accident

Not going to argue but with all of the Social media now available, forums are dying off. There are only a few fish forums left. Youā€™ll think back on my words one day. If changes arenā€™t made, you become extinct. Just like the dinosaurs. I hope Iā€™m wrong but I just see the writing on the wall. By the way, Iā€™m spending time on. TFF because the other fish forum I was on is now dead. I was just trying to offer a suggestion to hold on. I will enjoy the forum and hope it survives the changing times. Hope I didnā€™t upset anyone.
TFF app?

You're not upsetting anyone. By the way, I am a dinosaur, I am a T-Rex....lol

@WhistlingBadger No, that wonā€™t work if they donā€™t come on any longer. It will have to be through mods who have access to their emails. If the mods wonā€™t support recruiting back good members then we are already sunk. Forums are dying right and left and thinking out of the box is the only way to survive. Otherwise, we will soon be extinct just like the other fish forums. I for one, donā€™t want to see that happen

Thatā€™s a shame. Iā€™d like to hear from other Mods. As I stated, if you donā€™t start thinking outside of the box, this forum will soon become extinct like the others, IMO. All I can do is all I can do and all can do is enough. Rest is up to you guys. I will offer no further suggestions. It was a little out of my comfort zone anyway.
Beyond the very good points that @Fishmanic made, I would add that what you are proposing could become very time consuming. Please remember, before you start making demands on the mods, that we are volunteers, doing what we do as a service, and we have lives outside the forum. I myself tend to assume that the people on here are more or less grownups, and if they choose not to come around, that's their business. Unless they are personal friends or ask for my help, I don't see any reason to intrude on their decision.

As for the forum becoming extinct, that has indeed been a trend across the internet. I don't think moderators contacting members who have their own reasons for leaving would change that. However, so far this week I personally have approved the first posts of around ten new members, and I am only one of several mods. The fish forum in which I used to be involved died mostly because the admin abandoned it; this caused tech problems which over time caused most of the mods and active members to drift off, too. Neither of those things are happening here. I don't think we'll be going the way of the dodo bird in the immediate future.

Beyond the very good points that @Fishmanic made, I would add that what you are proposing could become very time consuming. Please remember, before you start making demands on the mods, that we are volunteers, doing what we do as a service, and we have lives outside the forum. I myself tend to assume that the people on here are more or less grownups, and if they choose not to come around, that's their business. Unless they are personal friends or ask for my help, I don't see any reason to intrude on their decision.

As for the forum becoming extinct, that has indeed been a trend across the internet. I don't think moderators contacting members who have their own reasons for leaving would change that. However, so far this week I personally have approved the first posts of around ten new members, and I am only one of several mods. The fish forum in which I used to be involved died mostly because the admin abandoned it; this caused tech problems which over time caused most of the mods and active members to drift off, too. Neither of those things are happening here. I don't think we'll be going the way of the dodo bird in the immediate future.
Dodo bird? No idea what that means.

@WhistlingBadger I in no way was making demands on the mods. Iā€™m a little appalled at that comment. I will go back into my hole and keep quiet. My apologies to you and may the sun shine upon you. Mama always said to be kind so I will do just that.

Dodo bird? No idea what that means.
The Dodo bird became extinct a long time ago.

@SeaAngel, I have the support of several members on my claims, and yet Iā€™m the ā€œonly memberā€ against your suggestions? :huh:

Around what age did you start to understand these ā€œthingsā€?

@SeaAngel, I have the support of several members on my claims, and yet Iā€™m the ā€œonly memberā€ against your suggestions? :huh:

Ohhhhh. And also about that quote that SeaAngel made, I asked about it already and it was a misclick

Yes, you have the support of 2 mods. I said ā€œmembersā€. Common people. I had a number of members agreeing with me. As far as what age, When I got into the adult world and began to run a business. Iā€™d say, 35? Look, I was just trying to help the forum. Clearly, suggestions from members are not appreciated. I overstepped my boundary clearly and it wonā€™t happen again. No more to be said so letā€™s move on.

Last edited:
If the members who havent been on are site for awhile choose to not come back, that is their choice. There are many reasons why a member may have chosen to leave - either permanently or temporarily. Many members have come back after a pause as they find value here. I personally would just leave it up to them whether to return or not. Members come - members leave - it's not up to us to contact them asking for a reason.
I have had experiences that lead me to agree with this.
When people are not around there is often more to it than meets the eye.

As for updates to the forum itself. like an app or a button to voice agreement, keep making suggestions. The moderation team has no power to enact them. We don't have access to the server or parts of the software that allow feature additions. The owners of the site do listen to suggestions and work to make software updates, etc.

I joined in 2012, left because some of the members told me I couldn't keep Butterfly fish above cardinal tetras even tho I had been for about a year. Came back thanks to Covid love this place, good people lots of Knowledge. TFF won't die in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back