Melting amazon sword

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I've had this sword in my tank for almost a year now. It was originally in a tube and its leaves melted away as it adapted to being submerged. For a few weeks I was having a lot of new growth and the sword doubled in size, but then started melting again and all the new growth seems to melt away before the sword can get any larger.

I use seachum flourish tabs as well as adding a liquid seachum flourish additive twice a week after every 50% water change. I'm unsure if its my lighting or not as I've been looking into getting new bulbs. My pleco, snails, and other fish don't bother the sword short of swimming by or resting under its leaves. I've never moved except for my gravel to sand substrate change. The melting started a few weeks after the change to sand so I'm also unsure if this caused the problem. Little guy has been hanging in there, but is unsightly depsite my best efforts to encourage growth. Any advice would be welcome.

The light is most likely the issue. My swords are growing like weeds with the Flourish tabs and very little liquid, and I have very soft water (less "hard" mineral) which is not exactly encouraging, but the tabs seem to deal with this aspect.

Can you describe the lighting. And a photo of the plant would help.

Most reactions

trending

Back