Melafix? Tetracycline? Bad For Corries?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I fixed the video so now it's public...........

KieranBoyne said:
Theyre looking good in the video!!

Well thanks, but I took that video to show the infected fish on the left side which is our largest female Australian.  I zoom in about halfway to show the fluffy white stuff on her mouth.  Meanwhile, none of the other types of rainbows show any signs of the white stuff and in general they all seem to be happy.  The only ones with any signs are (3) of the (4) Australians.  Now the lone male has no fluff at all but he's still gasping a bit, that female has only a very small amount of fluff and both of the other females look fine.

We did a big water change yesterday and we'll wait for the lights to come today to plan our next course of action if any.  I've already purchased a different medication called Triple Sulfa that claims it's good against cotton mouth bacterial disease but I can always return it if I haven't started the treatment yet...........and/or I find a better remedy available if necessary.

Poor thing.  My threadfins had similar symptoms where they couldn't close their mouths fully and had a trailing white 'beard' from the lower lip.  They weren't gasping like yours though.

All my threadfins are now clear and the fluff is gone.  The only remaining symptoms are that some of the threadfins have lips that protrude and appear whiter than they did before, like a kind of residual scarring.  The lips are not rotted and they can close their mouths so they seem to have escaped relatively unscathed.

The only things I added to the tank were a half dose of salt and later some Pimafix but I think it was clearing up on its own by then anyway.  The outbreak seemed to be triggered by some new additions of fish to the tank and it cleared up within a week once everything had settled down.  The worst affected fish was a sub-dominant male who was probably under extra stress from competing with the alpha male.

Just keeping you updated with how mine are getting on.  I hope yours makes a full recovery.

oops. So sorry I missed that!! The poor little girl.... At least none of the others are affected, that's got to be a good thing right?

daizeUK said:
Poor thing.  My threadfins had similar symptoms where they couldn't close their mouths fully and had a trailing white 'beard' from the lower lip.  They weren't gasping like yours though.

All my threadfins are now clear and the fluff is gone.  The only remaining symptoms are that some of the threadfins have lips that protrude and appear whiter than they did before, like a kind of residual scarring.  The lips are not rotted and they can close their mouths so they seem to have escaped relatively unscathed.

The only things I added to the tank were a half dose of salt and later some Pimafix but I think it was clearing up on its own by then anyway.  The outbreak seemed to be triggered by some new additions of fish to the tank and it cleared up within a week once everything had settled down.  The worst affected fish was a sub-dominant male who was probably under extra stress from competing with the alpha male.

Just keeping you updated with how mine are getting on.  I hope yours makes a full recovery.

Thanks for the update.  I had just added (15) Corries a couple of weeks ago so who knows, maybe that had something to do with it?  The only ones that are gasping are the infected ones. the others seem fine.  

Glad to hear yours are doing better, it gives me hope.

Okay, time for an update.

Mixed news, mostly good.  All surviving fish seem much better, in fact the male Australian shows no fluff at all and the largest female has only a small amount, which unfortunately might be permanent "scarring."  We did lose the smallest female Aussie, which is ironic since that particular fish never showed any signs of being infected.  May have been an unrelated issue.  Go figure.

The most upsetting issue is with the lone Herbert Axelrodi male, which we noticed had a bump on his left side just behind his eye.  I could be wrong but it appears the bump has gotten smaller these past few days.  All 4 Bosemani and 4 Turquoise Rainbows never showed any signs of fluff, bumps, etc.  All 25 Corries, Swordtail and Bolivian Ram are still doing fine 

I never started the Triple Sulfa treatment and I don't think I should.  I'll probably just return it and get something else or nothing at all.  We've upped the water changes to twice a week on that tank and so far so good.

I'm at a bit of a loss here, as all my tanks have been disease free for so long I'm not used to the trial & error BS.  Any ideas or comments greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance............ 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back