Mekong Sole

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Darius

Reaction score
Hi

I recently bought a flatfish from my LFS, they called it a mekong sole, I can't find a scientific name or any info on it online?

Was wondering if anyone has one or knows some info on it.

Very cute fish btw, it sits on my hand and eats. I will try and upload a pic later if I get the chance.

Thanks

Could be anything really. Most likely a Brachirus species, but unfortunately there are multiple very similar species, some freshwater, some brackish water, and some marine fish that happen to enter freshwater part of the time. There's some commentary on my web site, in the Brackish FAQ, that might be helpful.

Cheers, Neale

Could be anything really. Most likely a Brachirus species, but unfortunately there are multiple very similar species, some freshwater, some brackish water, and some marine fish that happen to enter freshwater part of the time. There's some commentary on my web site, in the Brackish FAQ, that might be helpful.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks for the reply and link - having had a good look at the varieties, I am pretty sure that I have Brachirus harmandi - It has the mottled underside, fortunately seems to be a true freshwater species. It's thriving at the minute but I have only had it for a few weeks...

Thanks again

David

Glad to see that my Brachirus harmandi is rather uncommon in lfs, I read your guidance on feeding and behaviour, mine certainly is quite active however during the day, and for feeding I think he would get nothing if I just threw in a load of blood worm because I have a 400L tank of rainbows and loaches.

So I simply hold the bloodworm over his nose and he then swims onto my hand like an excited puppy. I have to wait about 30 seconds to 1 minute just holding the bloodworm and then he snaps it up greedily, I worry that he will bite me when he eats off my hand but he hasn't yet.

He eats a fair amount of bloodworm and if I miss feeding him he comes to the front of the tank and sticks to the glass then glides down to the substrate a few times - just to remind me.

I wonder how much these normally retail for - I got mine for £6.

Thanks

David

I had one of these. I t unfortunatly died of what I suspected to be lack of food.

I got mines for £6 in my lfs..Grosvenor Tropicals..also got a pikehead at the tme which is doing great :)

Most reactions

Back