Meet The Plant People!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nick16

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
right, following on from seffie's theme in the salty side. Lets have a topic to say hello in the planted side. you can include some of the following if you wish....

Forum Name
Real Name
Current Tanks
Current Planted Tanks
Non Plant related Fact
Pet Hate

Picture of yourself
Some details (what you do for a living)
Fish keeping history (what you have kept etc)
Pics + details of tank/tanks.
Dreams for the future (what you want to do or keep)

be nice to put names to faces. Get those mug shots up!

• Forum Name: Nick16
  • Years in Hobby: 3
  • Current Tanks: 4
  • Current Planted Tanks: 1
  • Non Plant related Fact: Im left Handed!
  • Pet Hate: (where do i start) Aquatic Bottled 'snake' Potions. you know the ones! that claim they instantly cycle your tank and contain 'good' bacteria!

Currently i have just finished year 13 at sixth form and will be moving hopefully onto uni next year. where i will be fishless! :unsure:

Here me. dont ask what im doing, i had drunk a fair amount by that time!
me.jpg

i began fishkeeping after going into a MA shop with my dad. he was looking at the pond fish but instantly the lights and colourful fish caught my eye. my first tank was a 120L juwel rekord (currently for sale!) which i had a small community set up!
As i got more into plants, i began to add, the usual, anubias, java fern, crypts, echinodorus to the tank along with some root tabs. co2 was from 2x2L DIY coke bottles which were frankly terrible on a tank that size. After that, i added some vallis and set up the FE co2 system which im currently running.

So heres a shot of my first ever planted tank, after being in the hobby for about 4 months.

IMGP4493.jpg

From that point onwards i had the bug. i got myself a rio 240 which back then, seemed immense! and after alot of reading, i set it up. this was set out to be planted right from the start so i used decent substrate, co2, lighting, and ferts.

Here it is, immediately after planting. (escuse the rock weighing down the redmoor)
IMGP5290.jpg

about 2 months later i had a jungle!
IMGP5370.jpg

i removed the ton of vallis as it was like a weed and this is how it stayed.
editedIMGP5403.jpg

next up. was the 4x2x2 custom tank. and home made cabinet.

IMGP5986.jpg

IMGP6185.jpg

currently, the 4x2x2 is still going as a journal and im awaiting some lovely crypts!

In the future, i plan to downgrade back to a 200L tank, as they are much more manageable, but perhaps keep the 4x2x2 for a cichlid tank. i have always wanted to keep them, and i have masses of ocean rock!

Any questions, fire away.

I'm the one standing and singing in the black dress, black hair...

204254_1825935525600_1156639053_31722281_3044849_o.jpg

extra4.gif
Forum Name: lljdma06, they call me Liz, but I prefer Lissette or llj
extra4.gif
extra4.gif
Number of Years with Planted Tanks: 5 years, but have always had plants in tanks.
extra4.gif
Number of Tanks: Currently 1, high-light, ADA tank that is breaking all the rules. Am now planning a Planted Marine.

lljdma06's Profile

extra4.gif
Non-planted tank related fact: Sing opera (Contralto). You can hear me sing here... The Agnus dei from Rossini's Petite Messe Solennelle.

http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/288165_f8gjh/AgnusdeiRossini.mp3

8g "Dutch Style" Scape (2007)
IMG_2686another.jpg

20g tank (2008)
IMG_2571.jpg

36g Low-light - "Endor" (2010)
DSC00797.jpg

8g (2009)
DSC00285.jpg

60l ADA tank - "Refugees from Endor" (2011)
5e109543.jpg

N0body Of The Goat Steve (can you see why I chose an oddball online alias now? lol)
Southampton, UK
Almost 0.25 years in hobby (including research time)
wink.gif

Rio 240, Korrall 60 (quarantine)
Rio 240: Cambomba, helferi (a swine to get it to root if rockwwol and lead is removed); Ludwigia glandulosa & rose pygmy; [dwarf hairgrass thats now 4x original size at ~9"]; [Java fern mother plant]; [dwarf java fern?]; Eleocharis [something or other, will look it up again for log tomorrow]; all growing under 108w T5 lighting with Dennerle Deponitmix and CO[sub]2[/sub] and daily Dennerle ferts
Korrall60: 2x Windlov fern on small bogwood; java moss on small bogwood; [unknown fern] on bogwood; 2x Java moss on wire mesh/ floating randowmly round tank (after I cleverly snapped the securing cotton!)
Fish Theme (non-plant related): Stocking of fish from Myanmar riverine systems, bulked up by quirky African riverine species and a dash of India... Now enjoying the "stream function" of a new Eheim 2078 1750 l/hr external filter in addition to the Juwel Bio 8 and 1000 l/hr pump
Pet Hates: Seeing that ****** helferi floating at the water surface once again (thankfully not a daily occurance now!); all the gates that simply don't work on my postal round!
crazy.gif

Postie, doing one of what is generally regarded as one of the evil rounds of the depot by choice (125 high street shops plus 450 residentails), in order to boost my hours above a part-time contract
About 25-30 years ago, I rescued a goldfish that was being messed with by the neighbourhood gang of yound (~7 years old kids) in a large plastic barrel, sadly it died following a chip pan fire incident (thick kitchen smoke) some ~3 years later [Pics + details of tank/tanks.]
Would love to do a "micro" fish (<4cm) tank (Hengel's Rasbora; Rummynose; Sawbwa Barb; Forktail Blue-Eye; Threadfin Rainbow; Celestial Pearl Danio; Glowlight Rasbora) on a big scale eg. another 240l; perhaps a marine tank with a Mandarin Dragonet as the "star attraction"

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xa60TVaVCxg

Forum Name: Ryefish
Years in Hobby: kept pond goldfish my whole life, only kept a tank since beginning of the year though
Current Tanks: 1 - 30L BiOrb
Current Planted Tanks: above ^
Pet Hate: lack of research in anything. Explain something in total detail and then the person your explaining to still has no idea what your talking about :lol:

Wearing a hat i bought my baby nephew from Chester Zoo a few weeks ago :lol: (best hat EVER)
28658_421563190571_536620571_559518.jpg

Some details: I have just finished my first studying studying for my Foundation Degree in Animal Management. Im hoping to become a zoo keeper and partake in conservation. Other than that, i enjoy living a student livestyle haha
Fish keeping history: Always has goldfish in the garden pond for the past 22 years of my life. Was given a tank off a friend back in november, researched until february and then finally got it cycled. Looking for a new tank now though :hey:
Pics + details of tank/tanks: shabby picture but it will have to do for now - low tech BiOrb 30L with some easy to keep plants in it. planning on getting some CO2 going soon and possibly some sand
2010_0617jezza0006.jpg

Dreams for the future: get another small tank to move the contents of my BiOrb to. Eventually have a seriously nice looking, fully planted, rather large fish tank. Need to move back out of the mothers and get a job first :lol:

Forum Name aaronnorth
Real Name Aaron North
Location Nottinghamshire, UK
Years in Hobby 4
Current Tanks 1
Current Planted Tanks 1
Pet Hate Test Kits

Some details (what you do for a living)
Currently at sixth form studying Chemistry, Biology & ICT (Just started A2 - 2nd year). This is why I am not very active at the minute, i just pop on to try and keep up to date.
Fish keeping history (what you have kept etc) Started on planted tanks 1yr after getting into the hobby after being inspired by George Farmers' "Blyxa Hills". I set up my first dedicated planted tank (60l - The Forgotten Valley). I then kept cichlids for about 6 months but then decided I missed my planted tank so upgraded to a 216l planted tank which is what I have currently.
60l, placed 685th out of over 1100+ entries so this was a massive achievment for me and it learnt me so much. I still miss this tank to this day as it could have been so much better :(

216l, still waiting for the result on this one so I'll update this.

180l cichlid tank

Dreams for the future (what you want to do or keep) I would actually consider downgrading to a 60l. I think that size is perfect for quickly changing a scape, cheap to set up/ change and a pleasurable size to work with.

Thanks, Aaron

Forum Name: Gill
Years in Hobby:10+
Current Tanks: 6.2G, 90G Daphnia and snail Barrel, 30G GWCMM Barrel
Current Planted Tanks: 6.2G
Non Plant related Fact: Paul Merton and Paul Daniels used to be regular customers.
Pet Hate:Having to drive out of town for decent selection of fish.

Picture of yourself:
014.jpg

Some details (what you do for a living) : Just found a job after a year - so yippee back into fish keeping full swing
Fish keeping history (what you have kept etc): toooooo Many To list, lost count of the species i have kept.
022-2.jpg

034.jpg

farcrypfk001.jpg

Picture154.jpg

PseudoReef024.jpg

NOVCompRiven031.jpg

NOV09UKAPSPICO027.jpg

FarCryScarletBadis010.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Dreams for the future (what you want to do or keep):looking to get some crocadilous fish next. would love to have enough money and room to keep arapaima gigas

Forum Name- Supercoley1

Real Name - Andy Cole

Location - Lincoln UK

Years in Hobby -

Current Tanks - 2

Current Planted Tanks - 2

Non Plant related Fact - I am captain of a top pool team in my city. I can play guitar, bass, keyboard and am a pretty good singer (although of course not at Lisette's level;) )

Pet Hate - Those who won't listen when presented with the facts. I like to help but don't like to waste time.

CIMG3487.jpg

I am a house husband. Prior to that I have done several things including accountancy, warehouse management, database management and creation, food processing and labouring.

I have kept only tropical fish and inverts. I tend to stick with the ones I have rather than switch them with each scape

My first planted (or non planted) tank (January 2006)
Full18W.jpg

My current main tank scape (March 2009 - present)
CIMG4795.jpg

As for dreams for the future, I am quite contented with life. I'm the type who makes the best of what I have rather than get depressed over what I don't have.

AC

Ok, my turn

Forum Name: Biulu
Years in Hobby: 3, but have kept fish before, about 10 years ago
Current Tanks: 2 and a small quarantaine tank
Current Planted Tanks: 2
Non Plant related Fact: I have been a scout for almost 30 years now
Pet Hate: Being away so often, so I can't breed anything decent

Picture of yourself:

DSC05038.jpg

Some details (what you do for a living): I am a tropical forest engineer that works in development projects, and helps logging companies in the tropics to have sustainable management of the forest (selective cutting, wildlife preservation etc.). This takes me away from home 4 - 6 months a year.

Fish keeping history (what you have kept etc): I have kept several tetra species, kribs, gouramis, goldfish, killies, cories and bettas. Currently I have cherry barbs, angels, congo tetras, bolivian rams, dwarf gouramis and yoyo and zebra loaches

12 litre betta tank 2008

DSC03461.jpg

80 litre tank 2009

DSC04524.jpg

180 litre 2009 before it broke :sad:

DSC02999.jpg

180 litre now (see also my journal 180 litre bowfront)

DSC05722.jpg

Dreams for the future (what you want to do or keep): I want to move as soon as possible to Canada to be with my partner, and then have a breeding set up for some killie species and cories. As well as have my bowfront as a community tank with some apistos triple red

Would you pin the Salties one as well pretty please?

Seffie x

:p we have a few more pages than you :p

Would you pin the Salties one as well pretty please?

Seffie x

:p we have a few more pages than you :p

At Planted, my dear, we emphasize quality over quantity... :p

:lol:

Lemme see about the pin, ok? :good: I'm not a mod in that section and like I said over in Chit chat, I know I like my pinned topics a certain way.

llj

Hi I'm Steve, joined up after trying out some other forums and finding them not very helpful or friendly. I've been keeping fish for about 4 years now, my other half, myself and the kids have 4 tanks in our house, I have an 80litre nano planted tank with cherry shrimp, apple snails and an assasin snail for those #41#### trumpet snails lol. My other half has my old 32litre aqua start tank which needs nothing to grow plants perfectly, dunno why but its a little miracle tank, its planted and has cherry shrimp, guppies and plattys. Our eldest has his own 24litre nano filled with spongebob goodies and tetra :) and last but not least for fathers day I got a small glass cube, no lighting or heater with a male and female fighter inside that live on our window sill (not in direct sunlight tho lol) but they seem to like it with their lime green gravel, bit of cabomba and little glass heart :).
Ive had a few other tanks over the years too, had a 300litre discus set up which I loved to bits and was very successful with some tetra and a few other cichlids. I had a 100litre too which has housed lobsters, crabs, boxing shrimp, frogs, pirana, rams, a community and bred kribs lol. Any knowledge would be a great help for me as I've tried a few times to get a beautiful planted tank in my 80litre nano and now after a few failures I've set it up with CO2 and a new collection of plants and think I'll add some cardinals to go with my tetra and snails once its established. Here's a couple of pic's :)

Attachments

• Home 110.jpg
    Home 110.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 338
And here's my tank

Attachments

• Copy of Home 001.jpg
    Copy of Home 001.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 300
Forum Name fluffycabbage
Real Name Sarah
Location Bedford UK
Years in Hobby a few months
Current Tanks 200l Juwel & 65l (ish) Aqua One (nursery tank)
Current Planted Tanks both :)
Non Plant related Fact i make funky kids clothes
Pet Hate too many to mention

Picture of yourself
P1040432.jpg

Some details (what you do for a living) Im a stay at home mum
Fish keeping history (what you have kept etc) Only been in it a few months - got a 200l Juwel panorama with 14 platys, 3 mollies, 1 golden loach, 5 bronze corys, 7 zebra nerites. Aqua One (approx 65l) with 40 molly and 20 platy fry, and a male betta
P1040295-1.jpg

P1040495.jpg

Dreams for the future (what you want to do or keep) Would love a custom made tank with custom lighting etc - and a tank in every bedroom lol, not sure about fish as im still learning!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back