Meet Barley!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fishing for info

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is my auntie's new rescued puppy, Barley! I think he's a jack russell/collie cross but I'm not great with dogs. He's a gorgeous little boy, here are some photos from our walk in the first-ish frost! :) But we did have to keep him on the leash in some of the fields, as we thought he could easily be mistaken for a fox :lol:
PS any tips on how to stop puppy chewing would be appreciated haha
Anyone else rescued an animal? I'd love to hear about it

Sam with his new puppy!

Barley running

:)

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 58
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 58
  • z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 57
  • z5.jpg
    z5.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 62
haha :lol: wouldn't stop rolling around in it. Do you have a dog?

Attachments

• z7.jpg
    z7.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 58
awwh don't worry, it hasn't in in my town yet either :lol: . This is Stratford upon Avon. Heading this way hopefully :D

Awww he is beautiful :wub: Look at those eyes :D Good on you guys for taking in a rescue :good:

I have two rescue dogs myself and it's just so rewarding to know that you're giving them a second chance ^^

Ahhh, look at his little face - potm nomination for the last photo, showing those gorgeous eyes :good:

Seconder please?

Lovely to see someone taking on a rescue dog, I too have had several rescues, all dobermanns. They used to either adore the snow or hate it, no inbetween, one used to run outside, roll in it and then throw it around - others would sit at the doorstep, almost saying, you are kidding right, you want me to go out there, get my feet cold and freeze my ............ off, you must be mad!! :lol:

Seffie x

I'll second that nomination ^^

I'll second that nomination ^^
Thanks for the nominations! He's been acting a bit vain since I told him he was in the running for POTM :p
Yeah, I think rescuing is great! My dad and aunts on both sides of the family have rescued animals so I'm no stranger to them. I hate it when people think they've been dumped because there's something wrong with them. That's not always the case, in fact, a lot of owners just can't cope. All I know is that the rescue animals I've met are some of the nicest animals I've ever met and I would recommend rescuing to anyone :good:
Thanks again!

Gorgeous Barley :wub:

To help with the chewing part, here's a quote from someone I borrowed the info from :

Chewing is a normal canine activity and a very enjoyable one at that!

So, lets look at a scenario in the way the dog would see this problem.

"Everyone in the family is watching a favourite television programme, that is apart from the dog, whom is rather bored and fancies some attention. He walks up to everyone in turn in the hope for some petting, but gets told to go away. He eventually settles down and starts chewing on one of his toys, then decides to take the toy to the owner in the hope they will have a game with him. The owner on the other hand is very intent on watching the programme and puts the toy out of the dogs reach and ignores him. The dog wanders over to a pair of dad's shoes that he has failed to put away, he sniffs them and sure enough they smell strongly of his owner, he settles down to see what they taste like, but after a few seconds the house erupts and everyone is now paying full attention to the dog, dad even leaps out of his seat to chase the dog and retrieve his shoe!"

The dog has just learned one lesson, if you want some attention don't chew your toys, you are ignored for this, but do chew the shoes you get a 100% attention for that! It is a simple matter of re-training the dog.

Go out and buy some chew toys, this may cost a bit, but it is less expensive than replacing shoes etc! A Kong is an ideal chew toy and can be stuffed with some tasty treat to make it more enjoyable. If the dog shows an interest in the toy, praise him immediately, do not walk by and ignore him, even stop and have a short game with the toy, chances are it will chew on that the next time.

Make sure you put away things you would rather your dog didn't chew so he cannot keep making mistakes, but if he does chew something you would rather he didn't, bring the dog away preferably using a House Line and give the command as you do so of "leave it", now direct the dog to a suitable chew toy and praise/play with him for chewing it.

The aim is to teach the dog that chewing is fine; its only the dog's choice of chewing article that is in question.

I hope this helps, and if you want a pointer to a brilliant dog forum, let me know! :good:

Gorgeous Barley :wub:

To help with the chewing part, here's a quote from someone I borrowed the info from :

Chewing is a normal canine activity and a very enjoyable one at that!

So, lets look at a scenario in the way the dog would see this problem.

"Everyone in the family is watching a favourite television programme, that is apart from the dog, whom is rather bored and fancies some attention. He walks up to everyone in turn in the hope for some petting, but gets told to go away. He eventually settles down and starts chewing on one of his toys, then decides to take the toy to the owner in the hope they will have a game with him. The owner on the other hand is very intent on watching the programme and puts the toy out of the dogs reach and ignores him. The dog wanders over to a pair of dad's shoes that he has failed to put away, he sniffs them and sure enough they smell strongly of his owner, he settles down to see what they taste like, but after a few seconds the house erupts and everyone is now paying full attention to the dog, dad even leaps out of his seat to chase the dog and retrieve his shoe!"

The dog has just learned one lesson, if you want some attention don't chew your toys, you are ignored for this, but do chew the shoes you get a 100% attention for that! It is a simple matter of re-training the dog.

Go out and buy some chew toys, this may cost a bit, but it is less expensive than replacing shoes etc! A Kong is an ideal chew toy and can be stuffed with some tasty treat to make it more enjoyable. If the dog shows an interest in the toy, praise him immediately, do not walk by and ignore him, even stop and have a short game with the toy, chances are it will chew on that the next time.

Make sure you put away things you would rather your dog didn't chew so he cannot keep making mistakes, but if he does chew something you would rather he didn't, bring the dog away preferably using a House Line and give the command as you do so of "leave it", now direct the dog to a suitable chew toy and praise/play with him for chewing it.

The aim is to teach the dog that chewing is fine; its only the dog's choice of chewing article that is in question.

I hope this helps, and if you want a pointer to a brilliant dog forum, let me know! :good:
Thanks very much! :good:
we've just got him a few extra chew toys, his favourite still seems to be wellies! But they're stored away now so I think we're okay :rolleyes:
His teeth aren't fully developed so it's quite soft so we don't mind right now :lol: we're going to deal with the "if you're going to do that on the carpet, you're going outside" phase haha.
I think we'll be fine without the forum, everyone's so helpful on here! thanks for the offer :nod:

For anyone else, any idea what breeds are in him. I thought I could see collie and perhaps jack russell but I'm not sure. The colouration doesn't seem to match up :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back