Medication dosage confusion

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I am treating some of my fish with prazipro...am I to dose 5-7 days in a row, or one dose is good for 5-7 days? What, exactly, do I repeat after 3 days, if needed.
Please advise...
Here are directions:
"Dosing Instructions. Shake Vigorously before use, use 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. A single dose lasting 5-7 days is normally sufficient, repeat as necessary but no more than once every 3 days".

1 dose lasts the entire week, but says *if* another round is needed not to dose a second time before 3 days after the first dose.
Thanks so much!
I'm not sure why that seemed so confusing, but wanted to make sure I was understanding it clearly. Thanks for clarifying the instructions!

What are you treating?

From my experience, most gill flukes have become immune to Prazi.
I had to use X2 dosage and doze every 3 days.
The problem with Prazi is it seems that it doesn't last long enough even though it's supposed to last for 5-7 days.

I had to switch to Flubendazole to eradicate the gill flukes completely from my tank as the Prazi has become ineffective for my tank.
The eggs of the flukes can last/stay dormant for easily up to a month in your tank.

I treated my tank for 3 months in order to completely kill all the flukes.
When I was using Prazi, each time the gill flukes returned, it would kill a few of my fish until I got so fed up.

Some info for you:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084JKYT6/?tag=

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What are you treating?

The problem with Prazi is it seems that it doesn't last long enough even though it's supposed to last for 5-7 days.

I had to switch to Flubendazole to eradicate the gill flukes completely from my tank as the Prazi has become ineffective for my tank.
The eggs of the flukes can last/stay dormant for easily up to a month in your tank.

When I was using Prazi, each time the gill flukes returned, it would kill a few of my fish until I got so fed up.

Some info for you:

Thanks for the info.
Treating for what I believe is internal parasites and such complications as may have occurred as a result.
Am hoping for some resolution...

Internal parasites should be easier to kill but you still have to treat at least 3 weeks (if I remember correctly) or even up to 4 weeks.

Other medications are Flubendazole or Levamisole for internal worms and Metronidazole for internal parasites.

What are you treating the fish for?

PraziPro contains Praziquantel and is used to treat tapeworm and gill flukes in fish.

If you are treating gill flukes, then use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep salt in the tank for 3 weeks.

When treating intestinal worms in fish, you treat the tank once a week for 4 weeks. The first treatment kills any adult worms, the follow up treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treating. And clean the filter as well.

What are you treating?

Some info for you:

Be careful that you don't experiment with medications, use only as instructions state

What are you treating the fish for?

PraziPro contains Praziquantel and is used to treat tapeworm and gill flukes in fish.

If you are treating gill flukes, then use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep salt in the tank for 3 weeks.

When treating intestinal worms in fish, you treat the tank once a week for 4 weeks. The first treatment kills any adult worms, the follow up treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treating. And clean the filter as well.
So you need to re dose after you water change?

You treat the tank once a week for 4 weeks.

Praziquantel kills tapeworm within 30 minutes of being added to the tank. You leave the medication in the tank for at least 24 hours and then do a water change and gravel clean to remove dead worms and medication. Then you treat the tank a week after you first did it. You re-treat the tank at weekly intervals for 3 to 4 weeks. (3 weeks is usually sufficient in a tropical tank but 4 weeks is for coldwater because the worms develop slower in cool water). The extra treatments make sure you kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs after the first and second treatments.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back