Media inserts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vancitysunset

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a typical hob filter with a sponge then a carbon bag, then something called cycle guard with bio max, I've also bought a case of ammonia remover inserts, the box has a diagram showing to place it in the chemical stage, which is where the carbon goes? Can I stack them, or do I have to swap them? Suggestions?

You only need the carbon if you need to remove meds after treatment for a fish ailment. I recommend replacing the carbon with another sponge.

You don't need ammonia remover inserts either. These will absorb ammonia starving the filter bacteria so they won't grow. You would then be tied to replacing the ammonia remover inserts before they get full, forever. If they are not replaced in time, they will get full, stop removing ammonia, and with no bacteria to remove it, ammonia will then build up in the tank water.

It is much better to allow the bacteria colonies to grow rather than rely on chemical media to remove ammonia.

Hi, I've got a typical hob filter with a sponge then a carbon bag, then something called cycle guard with bio max, I've also bought a case of ammonia remover inserts, the box has a diagram showing to place it in the chemical stage, which is where the carbon goes? Can I stack them, or do I have to swap them? Suggestions?
If you wanna keep an eye on ammonia but are a little busy to get test kit out ..Seachem do a nice little inserted device with a type of visible colour chart on the front..called ammonia alert. I know some who've used them and say they work quite well.
They last about one year I'm told.

You don't need ammonia remover inserts either. These will absorb ammonia starving the filter bacteria so they won't grow. You would then be tied to replacing the ammonia remover inserts before they get full, forever. If they are not replaced in time, they will get full, stop removing ammonia, and with no bacteria to remove it, ammonia will then build up in the tank water.

It is much better to allow the bacteria colonies to grow rather than rely on chemical media to remove ammonia.
Is the sponge really necessary? It gets nasty fast and is hard to clean

Sponge will allow beneficial bacteria to grow on it... just squeeze the sponges out in tank water every two weeks or so. It’s ok if they still look dirty.. dont over clean or you will remove BBs. You can add one layer of floss above the sponge and replace it every two weeks and that will keep water crystal clear. I put the bag of ceramic media on top of the floss.

Sponge will allow beneficial bacteria to grow on it... just squeeze the sponges out in tank water every two weeks or so. It’s ok if they still look dirty.. dont over clean or you will remove BBs. You can add one layer of floss above the sponge and replace it every two weeks and that will keep water crystal clear. I put the bag of ceramic media on top of the floss.
thank you

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back