Mealworms

BSM_81

Reaction score
Are live meal worms a good meal for fish or are they more if an occasional treat?
Severums and angel fish seem to love them.

You can feed mealworms to big fish as part of a varied diet (a couple of times a week is fine). Try to use the mealworms that have just shed their skin and have soft bodies. These are easier for the fish to eat and digest. Freeze the mealworms before using as food so they are dead when eaten. Some insects/ larvae have very hard jaws and can bite the inside of the fish.

You can also blend them up and put them into a gelatine food for smaller fish too!
Thats what i do

Anything with "worm" in the name should be considered more of a treat than a staple, generally speaking. Back in the 1980's I had a colony of mealworms, primarily started for my pair of African Butterfly fish and my assortment of amphibians (frogs and several newt species). I learned then that mealworms are not staple. I also fed the beetles, the Butterfly fish loved these when one was dropped on the surface; they snapped it up and crunch, crunch...gone. But the beetles are too large for most fish. The frogs liked them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back