Mbuna Susceptible to Ick/Whitespot?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LuckyLoach

Reaction score
I have two tanks, a community set up, and a Mbuna set up. In my community tank, I've noticed what I believe to be the early onset of ick on one of my clown loaches. The water levels have not changed, and the fish have not appeared to be the least bit stressed in anyway. The only new thing I've done recently to the tank is add a few new live plants. I just recently read in one of my fish magazines that plants can carry the ich parasite.

That being said, I added several plants to my Mbuna tank from the same store as the ones that I added to the community tank and it's got me worried. Are Mbunas prone to ick like other fish? I've never read about anyone having an ick problem with there Mbunas yet. Do they have some sort of resistance to the disease? I'm going to keep close watch on them as usual, but I just was curious about how susceptible they were to getting ick.

Thanks.

I have never had an ick problem with any Mbuna tank i have had. It doesn't seem to be a common problem with Mbuna.

In fact i have never had any major health problems with Mbuna, they are hardy fish. Dropsy or bloat is the only thing they can be particularly susceptible to.

I've noticed that they seem to be very hardy. I think the hard part with them is the actual seting up of the aqaurium. I lost two when I first started out, but they were sickly to begin with. Other than that, no problems what-so-ever. I've been totallay shocked with the "personality" that they exhibit. Very enjoyable fish and well worth the work!!

Never have i run into a cichlid who has any type of fungus etc. I dont know what it is, good genes? The plant deal im not too sure about either. But the cichilids should otherwise be fine... I hope

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back