Maybe this isn't the best hobby for clumsy people

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
As a clumsy person, I've had my fair share of struggles. I always end up spilling some water on the floor during water changes. I accidentally tipped over the bucket I was using for a substrate swap, so I had to start over. I spilled a water test on the floor when I meant to dump the liquid in the sink. I overfilled during siphoning and water got on the floor. I end up pouring too much water conditioner. It's frustrating. Not enough to make me quit, but I really wish it didn't have to happen as often as it does.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of fish 😄 don't worry, you're not alone! Many of us have butter fingers and do stupid stuff...the longer you're in the hobby the more second nature things become!

Last edited:
As a clumsy person, I've had my fair share of struggles. I always end up spilling some water on the floor during water changes. I accidentally tipped over the bucket I was using for a substrate swap, so I had to start over. I spilled a water test on the floor when I meant to dump the liquid in the sink. I overfilled during siphoning and water got on the floor. I end up poring too much water conditioner. It's frustrating. Not enough to make me quit, but I really wish it didn't have to happen as often as it does.
It's good therapy for the maladroit, and less boring than fencing.

But seriously, it will teach you to be meticulous and agile, and reward you for it.

It's good therapy for the maladroit

Now there's a word you don't see often anymore! My parents used to just call me cack-handed (I'm a lefty). That will be my defence from now on. "I'm not cack-handed! It's cruel to mock the maladroit".

Lol comes with the territory. I've been at it for about 8 months now, and was just doing a water change and ended up spilling some water from the siphon onto my head (don't ask). So, don't despair, something will always happen even as you become an "expert" at the most mundane parts of the hobby

Lol comes with the territory. I've been at it for about 8 months now, and was just doing a water change and ended up spilling some water from the siphon onto my head (don't ask). So, don't despair, something will always happen even as you become an "expert" at the most mundane parts of the hobby
And never, ever, EVER, walk away from a tank filling if you are in any way prone to distractions. Especially important for large tanks as they take longer to fill.
Don't ask me how I know.

My kids watched clumsy toddlers take falls and said, yup they got Mom's klutz gene - (mine)... Practice helps. And I don't have a slick floor in my bathroom, for when I'm moving buckets of water

As a clumsy person, I've had my fair share of struggles. I always end up spilling some water on the floor during water changes. I accidentally tipped over the bucket I was using for a substrate swap, so I had to start over. I spilled a water test on the floor when I meant to dump the liquid in the sink. I overfilled during siphoning and water got on the floor. I end up pouring too much water conditioner. It's frustrating. Not enough to make me quit, but I really wish it didn't have to happen as often as it does.
Get a gravel cleaner and garden hose and run it out the door onto the lawn. No more spilled buckets.

I have left the hose running while filling tanks in the shop and flooded the place. Mind you, just about everyone I know who has worked in a pet shop has done something similar. Hence the tiled floors on most pet shops. :)

The air turns a positively vivid blue in my lounge when doing anything to the aquariums.

From knocking against the aquarium braces when taking water out...to "oh spherical objects I forgot to get this or that first"

Fishkeeping can be so joyful and so awesome...but at the same time it can be oh so very frustrating, it gives you bald spots, grey hair around the bald spots, wrinkles that even the Grand Canyon would be proud of

Dropping things, splashing things, splashing yourself, retrieving that damned suction cup for the upteenth time that refuses to stick to the glass and getting your sleeves wet whilst ferking about in the bottom of the aquarium....

Kicked the bucket too many times now.....ruined at least 4 shagpiled rugs in the process

The fish just sit there, watching me....laughing their little gills off at this stupid idiot human making a mess everywhere

Yep...the world of fishkeeping is NOT as easy as it looks and certainly NOT as easy as it sounds.....you find all new depths (literally) of clumsy, forgetful and frustration...you even get to discover a whole new meaning for dropsy when you drop that stupid bucket one more time before reaching the bathroom....

BUT

It is the most rewarding pastime you can ever have :)

Well, aren't we all clumsy...? I still spill water on the floor. I had a couple of times that I caught fish and put them in a container without noticing that I forgot to put water in there first. No matter wether if someone is a seasoned aquarist, a novice or somewhere in between, clumsiness and mistakes can still happen...
Conclusion: You're not alone... ;)

No worries, even the most experienced have their moments. I have a couple deep tanks and I can't tell you how many times I have ended up with a wet tshirt, water on the floor or dropped various objects off the step stool platform. Sometimes, it just seems written in the stars for each and every water change for the day to go like a trip to the water park. Hang in there.

The air turns a positively vivid blue in my lounge when doing anything to the aquariums.

From knocking against the aquarium braces when taking water out...to "oh spherical objects I forgot to get this or that first"

Fishkeeping can be so joyful and so awesome...but at the same time it can be oh so very frustrating, it gives you bald spots, grey hair around the bald spots, wrinkles that even the Grand Canyon would be proud of

Dropping things, splashing things, splashing yourself, retrieving that damned suction cup for the upteenth time that refuses to stick to the glass and getting your sleeves wet whilst ferking about in the bottom of the aquarium....

Kicked the bucket too many times now......ruined at least 4 shagpiled rugs in the process

The fish just sit there, watching me.... laughing their little gills off at this stupid idiot human making a mess everywhere

Yep...the world of fishkeeping is NOT as easy as it looks and certainly NOT as easy as it sounds.... you find all new depths (literally) of clumsy, forgetful and frustration...you even get to discover a whole new meaning for dropsy when you drop that stupid bucket one more time before reaching the bathroom....

BUT

It is the most rewarding pastime you can ever have :)
The suction cup part! I forgot to mention that. My betta has a leaf hammock, and it rarely stays on anymore.

Suction cups are almost useless. I find other ways to support things. That isn't clumsiness on our part, it's just a traditonial pet industry way to make things fall down

I have to wear either a sleeveless top or use a large freezer bag clip to hold a short sleeve out of the way while doing a water change. It is very embarrassing answering the door mid water change with a large bright blue clip holding a sleeve out of the way.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back