Maybe an Oscar?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Tomorrow Iā€™m swapping my 4ft 65g to a 5ft 110g , currently stock 4 eba 2 convicts and a Sailfin pleco , could I add an Oscar ? From what iv read online my current stock would Work with an Oscar , I know they grow 30cm and by rule need a tank 6x length but surely 5x length and 500l would be enough space for one

Tomorrow Iā€™m swapping my 4ft 65g to a 5ft 110g , currently stock 4 eba 2 convicts and a Sailfin pleco , could I add an Oscar ? From what iv read online my current stock would Work with an Oscar , I know they grow 30cm and by rule need a tank 6x length but surely 5x length and 500l would be enough space for one
Yeesh idk. As I'm sure you know oscars are carnivorous, super carnivorous. In my very limited experience I'd say it would be better to forgo the oscar, however some may say I'm wrong. How big are your other fish? If they have reached sexual maturity you might be able to make it work. Also are any of the EBA bonded?

My main concern is that if the EBA are bonded they may get territorial and pick a fight with the oscar, resulting in sad fishy moments. Seeing as EBAs stay relatively passive it' a risk if they are bonded or not. You also run into the issue of 2 convict cichlids swimming around in the oscars operating space. If they are still juveniles they will be munched on. Long story short, if you have anything under 4 inches I'd steer clear.

Yeah I wouldnā€™t recommended an Oscar - what about a severing? I suspect you might like the red spot golds?

Yeesh idk. As I'm sure you know oscars are carnivorous, super carnivorous. In my very limited experience I'd say it would be better to forgo the oscar, however some may say I'm wrong. How big are your other fish? If they have reached sexual maturity you might be able to make it work. Also are any of the EBA bonded?
A pair of my eba are sexually mature around 3-4 inch the others canā€™t be far behind my convicts again just becoming mature developing a hump on the head around 3-4 inch , I have done my research on oscars and from what I read to what owners say is different I read they are aggressive and such but many owners say they are rather docile if kept fed , I would only buy small around 5 inches and grow him myself

A pair of my eba are sexually mature around 3-4 inch the others canā€™t be far behind my convicts again just becoming mature developing a hump on the head around 3-4 inch , I have done my research on oscars and from what I read to what owners say is different I read they are aggressive and such but many owners say they are rather docile if kept fed , I would only buy small around 5 inches and grow him myself
I'm sure you could make it work with proper scaping such as things to break lines of sight, and lots of large plants, however in my opinion oscars are best kept alone or with large dither fish.

I'm sure you could make it work with proper scaping such as things to break lines of sight, and lots of large plants, however in my opinion oscars are best kept alone or with large dither fish.
Yeah I wouldnā€™t recommended an Oscar - what about a severing? I suspect you might like the red spot golds?
im not a fan and I donā€™t know why, iv been looking last few days for a centre piece for my new tank and I love my eba so itā€™s a tough choice Iv come down to a few and my first choices are a threadfin acara or Cupid cichlid but neither are in a place where I could purchase them the other were a Jack Dempsey and that was a big hmmmmm maybe and an Oscar , I need a fish I want and like not because I would neglect it just Iā€™d always be looking to swap or rehome saw a really nice tiger with very few orange mainly black I fell in love with him and itā€™s been really making me think but I donā€™t want to distress the rest of my tank

Thread fins and Cupidā€™s could work with your acaras but not your convicts - what do you think to keeping your convicts in the 4 foot and doing a South American tank in your new tank?

I think Iā€™ve commented on a few posts of yours before and shown you my tank. I keep 2 fully grown Oscar in my 4ft tank along with a convict Red Devil snakehead Vieja and plec and itā€™s a super happy tank. Yes there is a lot of waste but I water changed weekly sometimes twice weekly just to compensate. The rule of thumb for tank size infuriates me to be completely honest. People have to much to say and have to many good ideas. Yeah In an ideal world you should have the biggest tank possible but its not a total MUST HAVE! The only thing I would say is oscars do better in groups Iā€™ve never kept an Oscar solo and if it canā€™t fit in its mouth itā€™s dinner other than that thereā€™s nothing to worry about maybe some digging or pulling plants about but hey we all like to have our room our way lol

I think Iā€™ve commented on a few posts of yours before and shown you my tank. I keep 2 fully grown Oscar in my 4ft tank along with a convict Red Devil snakehead Vieja and plec and itā€™s a super happy tank. Yes there is a lot of waste but I water changed weekly sometimes twice weekly just to compensate. The rule of thumb for tank size infuriates me to be completely honest. People have to much to say and have to many good ideas. Yeah In an ideal world you should have the biggest tank possible but its not a total MUST HAVE! The only thing I would say is oscars do better in groups Iā€™ve never kept an Oscar solo and if it canā€™t fit in its mouth itā€™s dinner other than that thereā€™s nothing to worry about maybe some digging or pulling plants about but hey we all like to have our room our way lol

See the thing is Iā€™ve had the opposite luck with similar fish in bigger tanks. I personally donā€™t feel there is any reason to put those fish together in a 4 foot tank there are tons of alternatives to all the fish you have listed that would thrive in a 4 foot tank. If it works for you and you can deal with the waste and keep your nitrates low and the tank clean great but those fish wonā€™t be living the best they can and thatā€™s generally what I and most of this forum like to promote rather than taking a chance like this.

See the thing is Iā€™ve had the opposite luck with similar fish in bigger tanks. I personally donā€™t feel there is any reason to put those fish together in a 4 foot tank there are tons of alternatives to all the fish you have listed that would thrive in a 4 foot tank. If it works for you and you can deal with the waste and keep your nitrates low and the tank clean great but those fish wonā€™t be living the best they can and thatā€™s generally what I and most of this forum like to promote rather than taking a chance like this.
Each to there own it works for me and plenty others without any problems what so ever in my experience the reason for unhappy unhealthy fish is lack of time and maintenance by the owner. Some people canā€™t afford loads of tanks or Massive tanks that shouldnā€™t mean they are limited to keeping smaller or typical pet shop fish as long as they arenā€™t kept Cruelly I.e an Oscar in a goldfish bowl. Everyone has an opinion I just feel to many people are forced into what they can keep because what they read. Also my devil will be moving out to my 4ft into a 5+ft tank in the next few weeks as itā€™s reaching maturity stage and want to remove before the battles start. If you can keep up with the work load and responsibilities then nothing is impossible.

Thread fins and Cupidā€™s could work with your acaras but not your convicts - what do you think to keeping your convicts in the 4 foot and doing a South American tank in your new tank?
I really donā€™t think I have the time for two tanks with work and kids n stuff Iā€™m not so attached to my convicts to be honest , I like them but if they started causing trouble I would probably rehome them rather than make adjustments to suit them , if an opportunity came along where I could purchase a Cupid or a thread fin then I would probably go all in South American bio , Iā€™m in the England and I havenā€™t saw any to buy other than online and I donā€™t buy fish online I find something immoral in shipping live animals so Iā€™m limited to local breeders and swappers and of course pet shops , but from what I can see South America cichlids are not all that popular in comparison to say Africans I donā€™t know if anyone else finds this

Each to there own it works for me and plenty others without any problems what so ever in my experience the reason for unhappy unhealthy fish is lack of time and maintenance by the owner. Some people canā€™t afford loads of tanks or Massive tanks that shouldnā€™t mean they are limited to keeping smaller or typical pet shop fish as long as they arenā€™t kept Cruelly I.e an Oscar in a goldfish bowl. Everyone has an opinion I just feel to many people are forced into what they can keep because what they read. Also my devil will be moving out to my 4ft into a 5+ft tank in the next few weeks as itā€™s reaching maturity stage and want to remove before the battles start. If you can keep up with the work load and responsibilities then nothing is impossible.
I agree with you to an extent but I take the approach of finding the alternative so instead of your veija I would have had a theraps or an oscura same with your Channa there are loads of amazing dwarf Channa out there. Oscars are pretty unique so youā€™ve got me there but itā€™s just about risk for me and on balance I donā€™t think if ten people had your set up all ten would have your apparent success.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back