Maybe an Oscar?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
I really donā€™t think I have the time for two tanks with work and kids n stuff Iā€™m not so attached to my convicts to be honest , I like them but if they started causing trouble I would probably rehome them rather than make adjustments to suit them , if an opportunity came along where I could purchase a Cupid or a thread fin then I would probably go all in South American bio , Iā€™m in the England and I havenā€™t saw any to buy other than online and I donā€™t buy fish online I find something immoral in shipping live animals so Iā€™m limited to local breeders and swappers and of course pet shops , but from what I can see South America cichlids are not all that popular in comparison to say Africans I donā€™t know if anyone else finds this

think youā€™ve missed the region you are from off - I might be able to point you in the right direction?

If you get Cupidā€™s remember they are very gregarious so you would need a small group of at least 4 but the more the merrier.

I donā€™t buy fish online I find something immoral in shipping live animals so Iā€™m limited to local breeders and swappers and of course pet shops
I don't see what's immoral about shipping live animals.

But you do realise that the fish in stores were shipped there, right?

I agree with you to an extent but I take the approach of finding the alternative so instead of your veija I would have had a theraps or an oscura same with your Channa there are loads of amazing dwarf Channa out there. Oscars are pretty unique so youā€™ve got me there but itā€™s just about risk for me and on balance I donā€™t think if ten people had your set up all ten would have your apparent success.

fish are like people the majority are normal and theres always one that acts up. Kinda like filling a room with aggressive people itā€™s going to be a risk that one could kick off but hey they might all get along great. Everything comes with risk before reward. But anyway letā€™s agree to disagree its each to there own and as long as your not being cruel do what you like lol

Each to there own it works for me and plenty others without any problems what so ever in my experience the reason for unhappy unhealthy fish is lack of time and maintenance by the owner. Some people canā€™t afford loads of tanks or Massive tanks that shouldnā€™t mean they are limited to keeping smaller or typical pet shop fish as long as they arenā€™t kept Cruelly I.e an Oscar in a goldfish bowl. Everyone has an opinion I just feel to many people are forced into what they can keep because what they read. Also my devil will be moving out to my 4ft into a 5+ft tank in the next few weeks as itā€™s reaching maturity stage and want to remove before the battles start. If you can keep up with the work load and responsibilities then nothing is impossible.
Iā€™m sure my 5ft is bigg enough
think youā€™ve missed the region you are from off - I might be able to point you in the right direction?

If you get Cupidā€™s remember they are very gregarious so you would need a small group of at least 4 but the more the merrier.
im just north of Birmingham in west midlands

I don't see what's immoral about shipping live animals.

But you do realise that the fish in stores were shipped there, right?
I dunno I wouldnā€™t put a kitten in a box and send in the post lol just seems unethical and most of the fish I have bought are from the same breeder so yeah granted the prongs pair was import but the rest are locally bred

I dunno I wouldnā€™t put a kitten in a box and send in the post lol just seems unethical and most of the fish I have bought are from the same breeder so yeah granted the prongs pair was import but the rest are locally bred
Locally bred is always good when you can get it, it's just not always possible.

People do ship dogs and cats too ;) With live animals of course extra care needs to be taken, it can be done well, and priority shipping, or it can be done badly. Depends on how they're packed for transport, paying for priority shipping, and arranging things so you can be there upon arrival and unpack immediately. I don't see arranging for fish to be shipped to you as any more unethical than buying them from a fish store, where they will also have been shipped to the store.

fish are like people the majority are normal and theres always one that acts up. Kinda like filling a room with aggressive people itā€™s going to be a risk that one could kick off but hey they might all get along great. Everything comes with risk before reward. But anyway letā€™s agree to disagree its each to there own and as long as your not being cruel do what you like lol

mmm sure we can agree to disagree - but still not sure on your analogy... cichlids are known to be aggressive and territorial and its upto us as keepers to make sure that is managed responsibly. Assuming that some will be fine and some wont is not something I would recommend but like you say agree to disagree... I'll need to put my 2 cents in where I feel necessary in the future though.

Iā€™m sure my 5ft is bigg enough

im just north of Birmingham in west midlands

Your 5 foot is definitely big enough for an Oscar its just in combination with the other fish that I am wary of.

If you are prepared to travel about an hour you should check out Wharf Aquatics near Nottingham. Legendary shop, one of the best in the country you will be in absolute heaven. I usually get most of my fish from there when I am not dealing with someone direct and its an hour and a half for me.

Wills

Locally bred is always good when you can get it, it's just not always possible.

People do ship dogs and cats too ;) With live animals of course extra care needs to be taken, it can be done well, and priority shipping, or it can be done badly. Depends on how they're packed for transport, paying for priority shipping, and arranging things so you can be there upon arrival and unpack immediately. I don't see arranging for fish to be shipped to you as any more unethical than buying them from a fish store, where they will also have been shipped to the store.
I know itā€™s strange lol
Your 5 foot is definitely big enough for an Oscar its just in combination with the other fish that I am wary of.

If you are prepared to travel about an hour you should check out Wharf Aquatics near Nottingham. Legendary shop, one of the best in the country you will be in absolute heaven. I usually get most of my fish from there when I am not dealing with someone direct and its an hour and a half for me.

Wills
I will hve to go and have a look one of the days I normally go to holly bush garden and aquatics in Staffordshire kids love it n they have some nice fish but nothing very rare so I will be sure to have a mooch in there thanks for the tip

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back