Mass terra extinction

Ulimwengu

Reaction score
We had three of our four rummynose tetras die overnight last night.

The tank has been very stable for months as is. The tetras shared a tank with a beta, two khooli loaches, and an Apple snail.

I added some zucchini steamed in a bamboo steamer last night for our Apple snail, which was unusual. Usually we would blanch the vegetables before adding them to the tank. Might this be our mistake?

It's always a good idea to wash and then peel any fruit or veges before putting them in an aquarium with fish. This helps prevent unwanted chemicals getting into the water and poisoning the fish.

The fact 3 fish died over night would suggest poisoning. Did you do anything else to the tank yesterday, besides feeding the zucchini?

-------------
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week and see how they go.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Post a picture of the remaining fish and we can check it for disease.

The fact 3 fish died over night would suggest poisoning. Did you do anything else to the tank yesterday, besides feeding the zucchini?

I topped up the water a little: but I'm 100% sure I checked the temperature and conditioned it.

I did this because the filter was spurting air intermittently, as it sometimes does when the water level gets low before a water change. That's never been an issue before so I don't imagine that's the issue.

Sounds like it could be some kind of pesticide. I would do a big water change to remove any that might still be there. Also, keep an eye on your filter, I don't know if the pesticides can affect bacteria, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Topping up the tank won't be an issue unless the container you used was contaminated. But my gut says there was something on the zucchini.

I agree with poisoning as well

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back