Mason Bees...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Harlequins

***Corydora Crazy***
Reaction score
The other day i was in the garden when i spotted a bee go into a hole in a concrete post,it was carrying what looked to be a tiny bit of a leaf...

Anyhows i seen it again yesterday,but wasn't sure what it was doing,has i thought all bees lived in hives :rolleyes:

Now i know different,from what i've read its looks like a Masonary bee,which builds nests in masonary or pre drilled holes,lays her eggs then plugs the hole up when done,before going to another nest.

Well looking at the 4 holes down this post i see they're all plugged up with leaves.

I found it fascinating :)

Has anyone come across these before?

Honeybees live in big hives, the artificial hives are amazing as you can get can be over 40,000 honeybees in them! bumblebees live in nests of ~150 and solitary bees are the bees you're on about, masonary, carpenter bees etc they make little nests, they are fertile from the year before and lay eggs. they'll be finding bits of leaf to cover up the eggs now I think.

You sometimes see other solitary bees on sunny banks as they will sit in the sun to warm up.

There are so many different types and there is a huge problem at the moment with a lot of species declining/dying off. Lots of projects going on to get them going again :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back