Marineland Glass Aquariums ~ Decent Quality?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Looking at a 40G Breeder at the LFS - it's a Marineland and also can purchase a nice stand. The glass aquarium is like $179.99 I believe...worth the cost?

In my experience, the quality is similar to other popular brands (progressively more cheaply made, but good enough). For smallish aquaria (up to 55gal), I consider them just fine. The price is a bit stiff but I don't know prices of new tanks. I have always bought used tanks.
Price is usually relative, depending on locale and other factors. For instance, depending of where you are (US or elsewhere), frequently there are good deals around thanksgiving and other major holidays.

I own two Marine Land tanks myself. Both have nice beveling on the edges of the glass and the black silicone was applied well on both. My latest is the 75 gallon. The stands are significantly made with particle board which is not so great, but I have them both setup in an area with Laminate flooring so I am real careful about water anyways, neither stand has water damage yet. The stands seem to handle some water exposure as long as it is cleaned up soon. The stands are good enough that I still haven't been encouraged to build new ones for them.

The tops also fit the standard glass covers you can get at Pet Smart. (I had a couple fall off a counter and break)

I'm willing to spend a little more $$ for good looking build quality...without going overboard obviously. The stand at the store I went to looked pretty sturdy.
IMG_4162.jpg

If you clean up any water spills right away that stand should work well, it is very similar to one of mine and it works quite well. I haven't had the particle board delaminate yet and I have had a couple multiple gallon disasters but all disasters cleaned rapidly. Most important is to ensure the water doesn't soak from the floor up to the base.

I also keep my canister filter inside a plastic tub under the tank to capture the inevitable spillage when removing the filter from the tank to service it. Not talking a lot of water, what is in the bottom of the tub evaporates before the next weekly change.

I have already purchased materials to build a new stand but haven't had the need yet.

I'm extremely organized and clean when it comes to the 2 - 10 gallon tanks I am running today, so spillage and such isn't a concern. Thanks for the input, still waiting...figure I will buy something the day after Thanksgiving and start to piece together what I need to get it all cycled and ready for fish at the first of the year

you might consider sealing the bottom of the stand with a water resistant polyurethane to lessen water damage to the stand should water overflow your tank while WC or due to a leak.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back