Marine Velvet Disease And Freshwater Dip/ Copper Treatment

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dreamer03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I have had Marine velvet Disease twice in my tank. The firs time i thought it was ich and I tried to treat it with icy medication which had a not happy ending for my fish. This second time my damisel started to show symptoms which I thought was icy so I quarantined her. With help of another member of forum we figured i was wrong and it was Marine Velvet Disease. So we looked for the options and since my quarantine tank was already infected i had to treatment inside the tanks either way. First I gave away my invertebrates because the treatment would have killed them either way.
So the first thing i did was a freshwater dip. This is what I did.
1. Got a plastic container (about 10g since I have small fish) I used RO water to fill in the container.
2. Match the pH to your tank and the temperature. 
3. Do not filter the water, use air stones instead. (Either way after doing the dip you have to dispose of the water so you don't need to fill in the whole container)
4. Use your test kit to make sure there is no ammonia built up. If there is just use one of those commercial products to get rid of the ammonia. 
5. Test water parameters, if they are all right then it is time to dip your fish in. 
6. I would recommend dipping one to two fish at a time but I have read that they can all be dipped in together (I only had 4 fish)
7. Only leave the fish for about 3 minutes. If the fish is to its side and it worries you, you can try moving it just a  little. It should start to move on its own. Even so, if the fish seems to stressed you have to get it out.
8. If you have a quarantine tank (almost bare if possible) then place your fish on this tank. (my quarantine tank was also infected so I could not do this.)
The freshwater dip should be done on days 1,2,3,5,7,11 (at least that is how I did it and saw some other people do it) after this the fish should be monitored. The freshwater dip should take off most of the parasites but if untreated the parasite will again spread thought the fish. Next thing to do is use copper.
If you use too little it will not kill the parasite, but if you use too much then well it is pretty toxic. I had no choice on this but if you do use it on your quarantine tank not on the display one. (Either way mine is a fish only tank so no risk on killing corals). So I used 2.5ppm for 15 days. I made sure it did not go above this and I did water changes after the 15 days.  I am still monitoring my fish. Since the parasite usually stay in the tank I beliive for 71 days.
My damsel did not make it in time for treatment, my black clownfish and bassalet did not make it. Has of now my other clownfish and fire fish goby are clean from spots and are eating properly and breathing well. I will keep monitoring the tank and hope they do make it.
I did this, but if anyone has other suggestions on how to treat this disease or if I made a mistake please post so this can help other people in the future.  This was my first time and i admit I wish I had saved all my fish but at least two seems to have made it.

And I nees to mention. Thanks to RRAquariums for helping me find what my fish had! Again thanks!!
Also forgot to mention I used UV lights!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back