Marine Tank Set Up?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ItsBradleyy

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I currently have a tropical fish tank running working fine but eventually I want to change to marine fish.

What things will I need to make the aquarium successful and what things shall I avoid and what pointers can you give me

currently i do have living guppies in the tank but they are old but i plan on waiting a while and just collecting the stuff I need slowly

also will i need to change the filter media when changing to marine as it has fresh water bacteria on it?

See here to get started:
Marine FAQ
Marine Equipment

The freshwater biofiltration will die in saltwater. When converting a freshwater tank to saltwater, it's better to break down the setup and give anything that will be reused a good cleaning. 

I've been reading lots about marine tanks haven't started one out yet but my LFS has these new tanks called biorb it's comes in I think three different shapes an each shape has three different sizes,my fish dealer says it's great for marine tanks because u don't need to do regular water changes they have pre made salt water tanks an apparently when you use the pre made marine water u can leave it with out worrying for up too 2 months, only draw back is u can't put coral reef. it's still kinda new too me just thought I would let u know its something too look into for a beginner

u don't need to do regular water changes

This sounds like came from either someone who was really trying to sell you a tank at the expense of correct information or someone who doesn't know much about marine systems. You have to do regular water changes on all but exceptionally large marine tanks to maintain stability; there is nothing special about biorbs in this regard. Even the larger biorb tanks I've seen are quite small as marine tanks go (which means more difficult for a beginner) and would absolutely require regular water changes. They are also awkwardly shaped such that a lot of standard marine equipment would be difficult to use.

make sure you read up lots on them before you get it set up - a good protein skimmer and filter is a must :) depending on what corals you want to keep you would probably have to upgrade your lighting too:)

look at R O units as well they can save you money on water in the long run :)

Most reactions

Back