Marinaded Thai Chicken With Vegetable Curry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
I just knocked this up today with some stuff i had in the cupboards and fridge and was really impressed with the result (so were the family) so i thought id share it with you all here.

This feeds 4 people, increase or decrease the ammount of chicken and vegetables acording to numbers and appetites but keep the sauce and marinade ingredients the same.

Ingredients:

For the marinaded chicken:

4 boned chicken breasts
juice and zest of one lime
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1 small Thai chillie (replace with two larger chilies if Thai chillies arent available)
1 teaspoon of Nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh coriander
4 small heads of Pak choi or similar vegetable with the root trimmed and leaves seperated

For the Curry:

100ml of coconut milk
1 teaspoon of Thai yellow curry paste (substitute green curry paste if you cant get yellow)
1 teaspoon of Nam pla
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander
1 red pepper chopped into 1" pieces
1 yellow pepper chopped into 1" pieces
half a bunch of spring onions trimmed and halved
100 grams of baby corns
100 grams of mange tout (could be substituted for chopped French beans or sugar snap peas)

Method:

Start by making the marinade, you want to make this as far ahead as you can to allow the flavours to really soak in, ideally make it the day before and store in the fridge.
Combine the lime juice and zest, chillie, garlic, coriander and Nam pla in a bowl and mix well, add the chicken breasts turning them so they get a good coating on each side, cover and place in the fridge until needed. Dont worry about the pak choi for now, you will need this later.

Next make the curry sauce, mix the curry paste, coconut milk, Nam pla and corainder in a small saucepan and bring up to a simmer, allow it to simmer for a few minutes and then remove from the heat and set aside for the flavours to infuse.

When you are ready to cook remove the chicken breasts from the fridge and place them under a medium hot pre heated grill, or better into a ready warmed char grill pan, cook for around 10 minutes each side or until each breast is cooked through. After the first 10 minutes heat some oil in a wok or large frying pan and throw in all the vegetables (but NOT the pak choi) and stir fry for about 5 minutes, when the 5 minutes are up stir in the sauce and leave on the lowest heat possible until you are ready to serve.
Meanwhile steam the pak choi for 4 minutes using a bamboo steamer or equivilent.

Serve the chicken breast sliced on a bed of the steamed pak choi in the center of the plate and surround with a circle of the vegetable curry, serve with pleanty of boiled white rice (if you want to really impress guests serve a timbal of rice on each plate) and a chilled light lager or white wine.

You had all that in your cupboards and fridge!

I have about currently have about 4 things in the fridge and about 6 things in the cupboard. Perhaps I need to go shopping.

Bare in mind that i did plan to be doing an oriental dish of some kind during the week and had bought appropriate vegetables in order of that, the rest of the ingredients however are basic store cupboard essentials which get replaced as soon as they are used.

You had all that in your cupboards and fridge!

I have about currently have about 4 things in the fridge and about 6 things in the cupboard. Perhaps I need to go shopping.

ha ha snap, well not true actually i seemed to have cupboards full of stuff I'll never eat and nothing i actually will. think it's time for a clear out!!

That sounds really nice though CFC, is it quite spicy cos I'm a wuss, or is the coconut milk enough to cool it down?

It wasn't very spicy, it was a lovely meal - partly though 'cos he didn't give me too many mangetout :D

It wasn't very spicy, it was a lovely meal - partly though 'cos he didn't give me too many mangetout :D

I'd consider than an insult! I love em.

Might try this recepie though, looks scrummy :D I never do oriental cooking but I love the food.

If you like things a little less spicey then dont use a thai chillie and just use one normal chillie or even half, remember you can add but once its in you cant take away. The yellow curry paste is very mild but can be difficult to find (sainsburies sometimes have it) so if you use the green use half the ammount as it is quite warm.

If you like things a little less spicey then dont use a thai chillie and just use one normal chillie or even half, remember you can add but once its in you cant take away.

yeah I thought that, just thought I'd ask how hot it was so I know if I should try and adjust it. Just a case of trial and error a bit isn't it.

have to attempt to find some nam pla somewhere too, don't think asda stock it :/ :rolleyes:

Sainsburies is probably your best bet for any oriental ingredients out of the big super markets.

Sainsburies is probably your best bet for any oriental ingredients out of the big super markets.

yeah? don't even know where there is one near me, will have a look. There's a chinese supermarket in town somewhere if I can find it. lived here 5 bloody years you'd think I'd know my way around by now :rolleyes:

Yup, seen fish sauce in Sainsburys, also Waitrose is pretty good (and better priced than you'd think), and if I recall even Tesco had some..

we'll you really inspired me with this recepie CFC, the very day you posted it i got a chinese takeaway :rolleyes: :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back