Maracyn And Columnaris

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zig

z is z
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a female platy which has some sort of fungal growth on its mouth, this growth has only appeared in the last day or two, i thought i could notice something yesterday but wasnt sure, but now there is definatly a growth on its mouth which resembles a fungus, but from what i can gather from reading other threads is probably columnaris a bacterial infection.

Anyway i want to treat the fish asap in a seperate 15 gallon tank, i have maracyn tablets which i believe are suitable for treating bacterial infections, so my question is, what dosage of maracyn do i give for a tank that size? the tablets i have are 400mg strength, and for how many days would i dose the tank? these tablets do not have any instructions they were given to me by another member here to treat BGA which is a bacterial algae.

Am i on the right track here? or do i need something else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am treating some Columnaris in my tank with Maracyn as well, and if you have the same tablets as me, its one tablet per 10 gallons, so you would use 1.5 tablets. The treatment needs to be continued for five days. Oh, and tank out the carbon in your filter or it will basically neutralize the medication.

Hope that helps!

Ok thanks fishRfriends, yeah thats exactly the dosage for the BGA as well so i guess that makes sense as they are both bacterial infections, i just wasnt sure, i just did a water change and will dose the med now, thanks for the reply i appreciate it.

Zig,

I think you'll find the dosage quoted by fishRfriends is for 200mg tabs. If you have 400mg tabs you may be better only dosing half that amount.

Zig,

I think you'll find the dosage quoted by fishRfriends is for 200mg tabs. If you have 400mg tabs you may be better only dosing half that amount.

Oh ok.......i thought the 400s weren't as strong as the 200s, i wasn't sure about that , allright mate will do thanks for that.

Oh no, Im so sorry! First advice I give and I destroy it :p Yes, my tablets are 200mg so you would do less. Sorry!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Back