Managed to get a couple of pics after almost two years

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FriendlyGeek

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I think I have mentioned before that we have 4 giant fan shrimp in our tank and after them being in there for almost two years now, I have finally managed to get a couple of decent-ish close up pictures of a couple of them. Man they are hard to spot and even harder to get pictures of! Just thought I would share :)

IMG001.pngIMG002.jpg

great pics of your shrimp...what species of shrimp are they?

Thank you :)

I think people call them various names, we know them as giant fan shrimp but I have heard them called vampire shrimp too (not sure why lol) but the scientific name for them is Atya Gabonensis

They are really entertaining to watch......when you can see them! Spotting them can be a challenge despite their size, they can be right in front of you and you just don't see them :ninja:

I read those shrimp can grow to 6 inches. How big are your shrimp? What size tank do you have them in?

One of them is quite large, I would say a good 4 inches if not a little more, it's certainly bigger than all of our fish! The other three are all around the same size, I would say maybe 2.5 - 3 inches or so, so they are a decent size. They are in our 240L (4ft) tank with their friends which are schools of Rummy Nose and Emperor tetras, Pentazona barbs and a whole boat load of snails :rolleyes:

I like the OP's avatar more than the shrimp. It's a FRAGGLE from Fraggle Rock. :)

GOOOOO FRAGGLES :)
It is indeed, it's Red!! I was nicknamed after Red when I was in school (many many moons ago) due to the fabulous hairstyle :D

Most of the people here will be going "what the fuplie is a fraggle?"

I pity you people who missed Fraggle Rock on TV. It was great :)

I like the new version of the Muppets too, except for Chip, the IT guy. He's just creepy.

I was thinking to get 1 of these for my oscar tank but then i just thought i feed my oscar river/ghost shrimp so i dont think that would of worked out

Sorry I haven't logged in for a few days so didn't see this. We only keep small fish so the shrimp aren't in any danger from them, they are actually bigger than the fish lol

I think you're right to avoid them for an oscar tank though, they would soon be lunch 😋

We are limited to what fish we can keep because of the shrimp but they are so worth it, great fun

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back