Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Malowi Cichlids

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by .oOo.ClAiRe.oOo., Jan 4, 2010.

1. .oOo.ClAiRe.oOo.

hello :good: im new to this forum and was just seeking advice on malowi cichlids i have just got a 80l orca mt50 tank and should be setting it up hopefully next week when the shop i orderd it from decided to deliver me the stand ! lol :/ whilst im waiting ive started to collect some dirty water out of my running tank to help get my new tank running. I know that malowi cichlids need a rocky environment so ive got some ornament rocks which are bigish and im planning on getting some live plants once i have water in the tank iv read that java fern is the best for cichlids because it doesnt taste too good. Il post a picture once the waters been running for a few days and any suggestions i would appreciate :) im planning on having 6 at most malowi cichlids and im not sure weither to have 1 or 2 plecos because i know they are usually okay with cichlids and are the only fish that are really ! But i thought maybe two would be best so they are together ? thank you !! :good:

2. sumtin_crazy

sumtin_crazy Member

hey there!! :shout: well first malawi cichlids very beautiful fish good choice but you should put more than 6 as they are very aggresive and the more the better to reduce stress just dont crowed the tank to much!! they WILL dig up your plants bad choice for plants, :no: they may not eat them but they will dig them.!! :hey: malawi especially are diggers they dig everywhere. and for that size tank maybe 1 pleco is good as most malawi cichlid eat algea... you can also put so different cat fish in there too they are just fine there. :good: I also suggest you use crushed coral as a substrate perfect for a buffer and looks great ;) so hope that helps good luck :D