Male Swordtails

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chris1075

Reaction score
Looking to improve my male swordtails environment. I have three males and no females. I wasn't informed at the time of purchase about males needing females. I wasn't looking to bread and thought that three males would be a good addition to my aquarium.

Now reading about them I find that I should have females at a ratio of two to one.

My question is do I have to have female swordtails, or will female fancy guppies work.

Again I am not looking to breed I am just trying to make it a better environment for the males. They seem to be adjusted well in the aquarium

Thanks

Last edited:
Adding females will make the tank more active with the males chasing the females all day, but it's highly likely that the girls will get stressed out. How big is your tank? This will determine if you can add females, but keep in mind that if you do you WILL have fry, and if the tank has lots of hiding places some will survive and you could become over run.

It's not a necessity to have females for male live-bearers, if you don't want to then I wouldn't bother doing it.

Male swordtails can be aggressive to each other in the presence of females.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back