Male Pearl Gourami terrorising his tankmates

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishkeeperLinz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've had my male PG for about a year. For much of that time, he was in the 120ltr with the Hengeli rasboras. All was peaceful.

About a week or so ago, I noticed the rasboras had become shy and started hiding. The tank looked empty apart from Rocky. Things got worse and he had them pinned behind a piece of driftwood in the corner, above which he made 2 bubble nests.

A couple of days ago, I noticed the rasboras were too afraid to come out to feed, so decided it would be in their best interests to relocate Rocky to the 200ltr - something I was planning on doing anyway because I know PG do better in a group, and decided that in time, I'd get more.

Thing is, now he's got the other 200ltr inhabitants on the run, too, although no sign of a bubble nest. He's even chasing the rams! :blink:

Stats;

200ltr tank,
Fluval 305 external filter
Water parameters:
Ammonia:. 0
Nitrite:. 0
Nitrate:. Not tested, but usually under 5ppm
PH:. 6.4
GH; 3
KH: 1
Temp: 26°C

Stocking:
17 Neons
2 Electric Blue Rams
1 Bristlenosed Plec
1 male Pearl Gourami

Last fish added:. The gourami, on Thursday.

Water Change Schedule:. 18% every day (find that easier than 75% a week). Sand vacuumed every other day.
Filter cleaned last week
Feeding schedule:. Once a day at 4pm (currently 11:39am). They get a mix of flakes, frozen and freeze dried live foods, and veg.

Pic;
IMG_20200510_114151.jpg

I think I've mentioned before that I plan(ned) on getting him some company, but now I'm worried in case it makes him worse. :blink::eek:

big male gourami in breeding condition is going to bash anyone in his territory. put him in a tank on his own and add a mature female.

Two issues here. If you do decide to get females, get at least two, preferably three. But there is no certainty that this male will accept them.

The other issue is the tank with the neons and blue rams. Rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) require a warmer temperature than neons (Paracheirodon innesi) can manage with long-term. Rams (any variety of the common blue) need minimum 80F (27C) or preferably a degree or two higher. But the neons should not be kept any warmer than 76-77F (25C). They (neons) can withstand temporary increases such as summer heat waves, but not permanent high temperatures.

Two issues here. If you do decide to get females, get at least two, preferably three. But there is no certainty that this male will accept them.

The other issue is the tank with the neons and blue rams. Rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) require a warmer temperature than neons (Paracheirodon innesi) can manage with long-term. Rams (any variety of the common blue) need minimum 80F (27C) or preferably a degree or two higher. But the neons should not be kept any warmer than 76-77F (25C). They (neons) can withstand temporary increases such as summer heat waves, but not permanent high temperatures.

Hi thanks, Byron. I'm aware of both of those issues, and have tried to shuffle the fish around to better accommodate all concerned but it hasn't worked out. With the Pearl now in the 120ltr, I'm temporarily out of options.

Everything I've read about Pearls says they like - even need -, the company of their own kind, but the 120ltr won't be big enough for 3 females.

Hi thanks, Byron. I'm aware of both of those issues, and have tried to shuffle the fish around to better accommodate all concerned but it hasn't worked out. With the Pearl now in the 120ltr, I'm temporarily out of options.

Everything I've read about Pearls says they like - even need -, the company of their own kind, but the 120ltr won't be big enough for 3 females.
120ltr should be fine for a trio of Pearls, even if he's a bit of a terror. From my experience with a dominant male that I moved to a 125ltr with two females, he mellowed out quite a bit with them around. Some fish become more aggressive without company of their own. I've kept 4 in 125ltr for a short period, It shouldn't be too bad especially if you planned to move them back as a group to the 200ltr.

120ltr should be fine for a trio of Pearls, even if he's a bit of a terror. From my experience with a dominant male that I moved to a 125ltr with two females, he mellowed out quite a bit with them around. Some fish become more aggressive without company of their own. I've kept 4 in 125ltr for a short period, It shouldn't be too bad especially if you planned to move them back as a group to the 200ltr.

That's both interesting and reassuring. Thank you. :)

If he does mellow out with them around, it should solve the temperature issue with the Rams vs Neons.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back