Male or Female

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SeaAngel

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Young juvenile. Fins look female but developing color in breast area.

Attachments

• B2A93E78-D4A7-4CC3-BE30-DC5A12A69520.jpeg
    B2A93E78-D4A7-4CC3-BE30-DC5A12A69520.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 7F36460A-522B-4A43-8A2C-4C3F832E7904.jpeg
    7F36460A-522B-4A43-8A2C-4C3F832E7904.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 9C5F85E7-1FDD-4CFA-BE93-D42099DF134B.jpeg
    9C5F85E7-1FDD-4CFA-BE93-D42099DF134B.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 86
Young juvenile. Fins look female but developing color in breast area.
Hmm... I'm a little stumped. The fin shape could just be down to an aberration, but in that sense so could the new colouration. Like @Sgooosh said, I'm going to say male, but it could be too early to tell just yet. Keep us updated.

Hmm... I'm a little stumped. The fin shape could just be down to an aberration, but in that sense so could the new colouration. Like @Sgooosh said, I'm going to say male, but it could be too early to tell just yet. Keep us updated.
yeah, i have baby guppies and cannot tell until one of them has a gravid spot

yeah, i have baby guppies and cannot tell until one of them has a gravid spot
Unless I know for a fact that a fish is definitively male or female, I just call them all "he" and hope for the best.

...I feel a little bad every time they end up being female and I've been calling them "he" the whole time!

Unless I know for a fact that a fish is definitively male or female, I just call them all "he" and hope for the best.

...I feel a little bad every time they end up being female and I've been calling them "he" the whole time!
oh no! me too!

I understand. This one just has me puzzled. I named “it” Dolly so if it turns out to be a male, I’ll have some explaining to do.

Hi, it really depends on how old/big it is. It may not be at an age where they show sexual dimorphism, in which case both males and females will have rounded dorsal fins. Females will never have extended rays on the anal fin(can't see any, just pointing out) and only males have the colouration on the chest.

They aren't the fastest of growers and don't show dimorphism as fast as some other Gourami. Another factor(which I don't know if this is the case in this situation) is the presence of another male. Subdominant males can take longer to colour up/show dimorphism with a more dominant male in their presence.

Hi, it really depends on how old/big it is. It may not be at an age where they show sexual dimorphism, in which case both males and females will have rounded dorsal fins. Females will never have extended rays on the anal fin(can't see any, just pointing out) and only males have the colouration on the chest.

They aren't the fastest of growers and don't show dimorphism as fast as some other Gourami. Another factor(which I don't know if this is the case in this situation) is the presence of another male. Subdominant males can take longer to colour up/show dimorphism with a more dominant male in their presence.
Gotta agree with this...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back