Male or female

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi!
Anybody able to tell if this is a male or female goldfish?
I’m leaning towards female but I’m not sure.
Thanks!

Attachments

• C178B057-0D6A-4C38-A16B-8000AD26EBC2.jpeg
    C178B057-0D6A-4C38-A16B-8000AD26EBC2.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I am leaning towards female. She seems to have a little “V” extending by her anal area. Another way to tell is to watch in Spring and see if she gets breeding tubercles on her Gill’s. Only males get those.

Thanks for the help, it was harder to tell with her.

I swear that goldfish is one of the hardest fish to sex by looking at sexual organs. That little “V” is hard to see. I had a female in my male tank for quite some time. They all got tubercles but her so I started doubting myself. Sure enough, the males started chasing her. Now she resides in the female tank. Lol. A female named Ringo.

How old is the fish?
How big is the fish?

Male goldfish that are sexually mature will develop small white dots on the side of the face and on the edge of the pectoral (side) fins in spring when the weather warms up. Females don't get these spots.

Females goldfish that are sexually mature will be fatter than males when the weather warms up. This is due to eggs developing in their abdomen. In my experience, female fish eat more than males but you need a group of them to observe this.

I’m not sure of its age, but the fish is maybe a little more than 2 inches. After the first few minutes of being released into the tank, it started to nudge the sides of my female goldfish, so I suspected a male, but it has since stopped. The way the body is shaped (the little v part) is what made me think it was a female, as well as it’s thinner fins.

How old is the fish?
How big is the fish?

Male goldfish that are sexually mature will develop small white dots on the side of the face and on the edge of the pectoral (side) fins in spring when the weather warms up. Females don't get these spots.

Females goldfish that are sexually mature will be fatter than males when the weather warms up. This is due to eggs developing in their abdomen. In my experience, female fish eat more than males but you need a group of them to observe this.
Yes the “ small white dots” are the tubercles that I was referring to.

I swear that goldfish is one of the hardest fish to sex by looking at sexual organs. That little “V” is hard to see. I had a female in my male tank for quite some time. They all got tubercles but her so I started doubting myself. Sure enough, the males started chasing her. Now she resides in the female tank. Lol. A female named Ringo.
She didn't disappoint me. :)

Lol
By the way, this fish actually has one brown and black eye and one bright blue eye, which I find quite interesting. Would you call that some form of heterochromia? This is quickly becoming one of my most interesting fish lol

Lol
By the way, this fish actually has one brown and black eye and one bright blue eye, which I find quite interesting. Would you call that some form of heterochromia? This is quickly becoming one of my most interesting fish lol
Can he see out of the blue one? I see it in horses and dogs.

Yep, the fish seems to be able to see out of it. It’s not cloudy and doesn’t look like a blind eye, no external damage, responds to my finger when i put it near the blue eye.
I’ve just never had a fish with two different eye colors like that. My other fish either have eyes that are half one color, half another, or in one of my bettas case, just one eye.

Attachments

• 080740FA-AAB7-47CC-97C8-F7412E62CC43.jpeg
    080740FA-AAB7-47CC-97C8-F7412E62CC43.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 109
  • EED97BEC-6082-4BDC-88B8-C2C09E3B2C7E.jpeg
    EED97BEC-6082-4BDC-88B8-C2C09E3B2C7E.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 95
In humans, a brown eye can be changed into a blue eye with a special kind of eye surgery, as there is blue under every brown eye.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back