Male Or Female?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SarahMarie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was told by the pet store that the white and orange platy is female and the all orange one is male but I'm beginning to wonder if they are both male? I'm new to this and would appreciate any help. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 473
The orange and white is clearly male... hard to tell on the orange one.

Google "gonopodium". ;)

I think the orange one is male as well. His fin is tiny at the bottom, it's hard to tell in the picture. Will they fight if even if there isn't a female in the tank?
The orange one follows the white and orange one all over the tank, that's another reason I though the white/orange was female

They won't "fight".  My guppies used to flare at each other, but never got aggressive.  Livebearers can be (and many times are) kept in single gender groups because they breed so readily, so the only real way to stop that is to isolate genders.

It seems that some platies are late developers and only develop their gonopodium after you get them home.  So they appear female when you buy them and then turn out to be male a while later.  This happened to me and a few other people.

You might find that one male is dominant and displays aggression to the other male.  I'm in the same situation after unwittingly buying one male and a 'she-male' ;) and now the original male is dominant and aggressive towards the late-developer.  I'm planning to get another male to spread the aggression a bit.  Or I might end up taking one or both males back, not sure I can handle any more fry :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for your advice, it's been a great help! :) at least I won't be overrun with fry lol

See their bottom fins when they stay calm at one place and if you can see two triangular fins then its female and if you see their fins close to body and not forming triangular shape (2nd bottom fin)
then its male

I am not sure about Mollies and Platies but with Endlers having more males than females is better, the boys spend most of their time flaring at their reflection and competing with each other for mating rights instead of bothering the females all the time.

Bumblebee Gobys make great tank mates/ population control for live bearers.

I am not sure about Mollies and Platies but with Endlers having more males than females is better, the boys spend most of their time flaring at their reflection and competing with each other for mating rights instead of bothering the females all the time.

Bumblebee Gobys make great tank mates/ population control for live bearers.
Yeah that's not true with mollies or platies. The males will constantly chase the females, so that's why more females than males. 3:1 ratio or 2:1.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back