Male or female, get your guesses in?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dipsydoodlenoodle

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
This is my beautiful Pleco, been with me since October last year and was about an inch in size then. So I'm estimating 4-5 months old. I know, still too young to properly sex, but what are our guesses so far?

Spidey Fish.jpg

She IS a pretty one, reminds me of my "Blondie"...looks like she enjoys her veggies, too

Ever try broccoli or cauliflower?
Both of my BNPs love them (blanched)...green beans, too

Looks like a female to me.

Males tend to have longer bristles. Those bristles stretch towards the center of their head:
864FB62A-7076-4311-8883-BA5E5EEEE46B.jpeg

Yes, and those bristles take a while to grow in, so it's a guess until they get older...my main clue is the wider, rounder body on the OP's fish...

Here's my Blondie, hanging out in her coco cave...sorry for the reflections on the glass :/

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 61
Here's my Blondie, hanging out in her coco cave...sorry for the reflections on the glass :/
You know what. I have coconut caves somewhere?! I've had an axolotl in the tank for years so all the nice small fish ornaments were put away. I'm sure I have one spare still!

There are a few bristles appearing on 'her' nose now.

Females only have spines kind of around the lip areas males can get them going right up the back of the head . I love my bristlenose plecos. Got hundreds of baby's here x

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back