FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Juiced

Reaction score
After some advice on the sex of my Gouramis please
4EAD70E7-5BA8-4829-A45C-CF369AE1708A.jpeg
DED914DC-866D-40E1-937E-B5266BBC9FAA.jpeg
3008B356-94BC-4E7A-80FD-40727C0E4C0E.jpeg

#1 I'm pretty sure is male, with that sharp dorsal fin, thinner body and overall smaller size. #2 has a very sharp dorsal fin so I'm guessing male but it is also round bodied like a female. #3 Appears to also have a sharp dorsal fin that it's keeping tight and is less round than a female, I'd guess male. The fin is the best way to tell but also females are generally a little larger and fatter you need to set them next to a male to be sure. I think the females also have a little "softer" face due to their plumpness - which is why #2 may be female.

#1 I'm pretty sure is male, with that sharp dorsal fin, thinner body and overall smaller size. #2 has a very sharp dorsal fin so I'm guessing male but it is also round bodied like a female. #3 Appears to also have a sharp dorsal fin that it's keeping tight and is less round than a female, I'd guess male. The fin is the best way to tell but also females are generally a little larger and fatter you need to set them next to a male to be sure. I think the females also have a little "softer" face due to their plumpness - which is why #2 may be female.
But No.1 doesn't have a sharp point to the dorsal.
(I posted my Dwarf to illustrate the finnage and blue belly;)).

...And how can you tell that it's smaller?

All males.

Female dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) are silver and do not have bright colours. The only exception to this is female coral blue dwarf gouramis that are a similar blue colour to the males. However, the females have short round dorsal and anal fins, a fat belly and are paler than the males.

All males.

Female dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) are silver and do not have bright colours. The only exception to this is female coral blue dwarf gouramis that are a similar blue colour to the males. However, the females have short round dorsal and anal fins, a fat belly and are paler than the males.
So what do you reckon was going on with that rounded dorsal fin on the almost-standard male?

Males, you hardly ever find females in retail stores, they are just boring and unattractive. Not like us males. Whoops that sounds really gay.😘

1635926118538.png
Taken from The Spruce Pets website.

So, apart from the reply from @Colin_T that I would hate to disagree with, using the pictures above I think that #1 might be female..?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back