Male or female boeseman rainbow?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishNewbie82912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Attached a pic. My turquoise rainbow wonā€™t leave the boesemani alone. I canā€™t tell if heā€™s showing dominance or wants to mate.

Attachments

• 24D30273-FC99-4342-9119-09EBC4185D0B.jpeg
    24D30273-FC99-4342-9119-09EBC4185D0B.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 21BB84F6-6DA0-4112-918A-0F285C410B55.jpeg
    21BB84F6-6DA0-4112-918A-0F285C410B55.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 97
Pretty sure it's a male. Give it a month to color up then you'll know for sure. One of my favorite fish! That turquoise is a beauty, too!

Pretty sure it's a male. Give it a month to color up then you'll know for sure. One of my favorite fish! That turquoise is a beauty, too!
Yeah Iā€™m thinking male after looking more up. Heā€™s pretty colorful. The females are really dull. Thanks so that turquoise is bullying everyone in my tank. I just started a 75 African peacock Cichlid tank. I have 5 cichlids and those 2 rainbows. That rainbow is going nuts flashing at everyone and chasing them all day. Like I donā€™t even know how he has the energy for it. I read he needs a female rainbows. But Petsmart told me they only carry males. I have a local pet store thatā€™s going to order some for me and see what he gets in. So hoping for a female soon! In the mean time Iā€™m buying caves for everyone to hide in.

Both males and they are displaying to each other. Get more of each to help settle things down.

Rainbowfish should be kept in groups of at least 6 and preferably more.
Have even numbers of males (2, 4, 6) and lots of females.
Keep males that are the same size so big males don't pick on smaller males.

Female M. boesemani don't get yellow or blue.

Both males and they are displaying to each other. Get more of each to help settle things down.

Rainbowfish should be kept in groups of at least 6 and preferably more.
Have even numbers of males (2, 4, 6) and lots of females.
Keep males that are the same size so big males don't pick on smaller males.

Female M. boesemani don't get yellow or blue.
Thanks for the response. What happens if I try to get more and they all end up males? Will my turquoise ever settle down? Heā€™s so nuts and aggressive darting after everyone. I was hoping moving him to a bigger tank would help but heā€™s even crazier now.

He is just the dominant fish and likes showing off to the others. It's normal. Add more and if they turn out to be males, they will eventually grow to a similar size.

I had 3 big male M. trifasciatas in a tank and they used to spend all day every day showing off to each other and to the females. They never bothered the smaller fish because they were busy showing off to each other. I had about 12-15 adult rainbowfish fish in each tank and the tanks were 4 foot long.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back