Male Jd Mating With Female Blood Parrot Cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kuper

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I have a male Jack Dempsey Cichlid that is about 5 inches and a female blood parrot cichlid who is a little bit smaller. They have paired up since i started the tank about 4 months ago and within the last month my blood parrot has started laying eggs. She just laid her 2nd batch today! The 1st time was about a month ago and the eggs basically just disappeared... Does anyone know if a JD and BP have successfully bred together before? Is it possible? I know a lot of people look down on hybrids but I want the fry for myself (not to give to a LPS or anything). If anyone knows any info, please help! I know male BPs are often infertile but female BPs are usually fertile right? And also how old do they have to be before they can successfully have fry? Thanks :)

You have a tremendous responsibility on your hands with these fry.

If they spawn successfully, which I have no information to offer in regards to, it would be extremely irresponsible to allow those offspring to leave your possession. Raise them, pick a few of your favorites, and euthanize the rest of them humanely.

If just one hybrid is introduced into the hobby, the consequences can be quite vast. Think about the "butterfly" effect. One of these hybrid fry could reproduce with another JD in someone else's tank. They decide to trade them in at the LFS. The offspring is put in with other JD stock, and is sold to another hobbyist. This chain of events eventually leads to the species becoming tainted.

Hybrids can be neat, but please remember to be responsible and keep them only for yourself.

Of course, as I said... I only want them for myself. It doesn't look like this batch is going to make it anyways... :( I'll keep you posted though.

I just wanted to be sure!

That may be a side effect of the genetic mixing that is going on. The eggs could be laid and the male may attempt/succeed to fertilize, but the DNA perhaps is not stable and will result in eggs/fry that are not viable.

Or, it could be something like you mentioned, such as one of them not being fertile at all.

I wish I had more to offer.

i think you may get a better response in the hybrid section of the forum. ill move the topic to see if anyone there can help :good:

Most reactions

Back