Male guppy trying to mate with my male platy - help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Megan2022

Reaction score
Hi,

So I have 6 male guppies and I had two male platys but now I have one. And the poor platy is getting harassed by a horny male guppy, which is making him shy and hide away.

I think the guppy stressed out my last platy for the same reason and unfortunately died so I don't want the same to happen to my other platy.

I will get the other platy another friend over the weekend, but need to sort this mating behaviour out first.

I really don't want to be breeding so I don't want any female guppies to help ease the tension.

Any other ideas, or is it just a case of rehome the horny guppy?

Thank you,
Megan

Is your tank big enough to house a few platies?
It's 64 litres so I could get a couple more? but I can't see how getting more platys would deter this guppies fancy of a platy haha

It is what happens with all male livebearer tanks, especially small ones. A 64L isn't a lot of room to get away, and the guppy is only doing what its wiring says to do.

Well, it's not uncommon behavior. It's just nature...
Or trade the aroused guppy in for another guppy that's less vivid in that way...

Could be bullying instead of mating behavior.

Thanks all, I've removed the guppies and put them in a separate tank for the time being.

Could be bullying instead of mating behavior.
Thanks, potentially is bullying, although they're both orange so wondering if he's just slightly confused 🤣. I've removed the guppies now and got in a separate tank until I figure out what to do next with them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back