Male & Female ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Trying to decide if these two are the same sex or not, just wondering if anyone can help.

004-28.jpg

007-15.jpg

005-24.jpg

I think this is the male

008-28.jpg

Female?

009-26.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

I would say they're male and female. There seems to be a fair bit of difference is colour and shape?!

How do they behave together?

What are they, look like huge Keyholes IMO

PMSL they would be pretty big for keyholes, they are touching 9"

Minnnt they are very peaceful no bother at all and get on very well with my female diadema?? being Aequidens tetramerus there could be a possibility of cross breeding :(

Possibly then yes... ?! I have a pair of Jade Eyeds that get on like a house on fire, but will they actually lay eggs? Will they heck as like! :grr:

Minnnt I know exactly what you mean, I have a pair of fliers, they follow each other round constantly, they literally touch fins all the time they are so close, as soon as the female spawns the male eats the eggs as fast as she lays them *rolls eyes*, I have the same with my Satanopercia Daemons, they spawn but he eats the eggs stupid fish!!!.

Yes these 2 are Aequidenes, same family as the GT, blue acara etc etc, it was a bit of a devil finding out what they were, as they were advertised as Rainbow cichlids ???? a friend bought them, but they were nasty in his tank so we did a swap and I thought they were Patriki, but they soon outgrew the standard 6" for patriki then I discovered an article on Aequidenes and saw the tetramerus (saddle chichlid) but mine are nothing like the standard ones, then I found a small section on Aequidenes tetramerus sp. Quisto Cocha which it appears these two are, hence I am hoping and praying they are male and female and I will be blessed with some fry (at some point maybe hopefully lol)

Any joy with those other Elliotti?

Sounds like you have had fun finding out what they are! It's amazing just how many cichlids there are... let alone all the variants from different parts etc. :rolleyes:

As for the Ellioti, no contact as of yet, but i don't think i will be able to take any now anyway unfortunately. :( Nevermind, i will get my pair one day... whether it be ellioti or meeki... Have noticed 2 spot don't seem particularly happy atm and is venting his anger at the thomasi (and vice versa!!!) and my Angels.

Oh my Elliotti pair are driving me nuts at the moment, the female has fallen out with the male and taken up with the Blue acara???????? I hope they dont spawn lol.

Awwww 2 spot, god that seems years ago since I bred him, funny in this batch I have another 2 spot, weird?

How long ago? Would love to know how old he is. And would also like to see the outcome of an ellioti and ba! Haha.

Remember a while ago we found an article about sexing Acaras via the headshape - maybe compare them to Bailey as we know she is a she. There are definite head shape differences so it could help :)

Though going on cichlid signs such as thickening of the forehead for mini nuchal humps I would say your right so far :)

Wills

Yeah Wills, looking at Bailey the one does seem female, fin extensions are no real indication as Bailey's now extend over her tail.

Minnnt, If I remember right it was September 2009 they hatched, what date I cant remember lol

Walkers, errrmm no chance matey :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back