Male Endler and Male Guppy Concerns

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ArmaghRed

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. First time poster here and in need of a nit of advice.

I've got a 54 litre tank. Currently 14 fish in there including 1 male and 3 female guppies, 1 male and 4 female endlers and 1 female platty, 1 black phantom and 3 neon tetra's. My issue is with the male guppy, male endler and female platty.

From the moment there were introduced to the tank the male endler will not leave the male guppy alone. It is constantly chasing it and actually looks like it is trying to breed with it. And also the make guppy will not leave the female platty alone, again constantly chasing it and trying to breed.

I have introduced female guppies and female endlers to the tank but this has not stopped this constant chase between the 3 of them. Watching it can be a bit distressing as it is absolutely relentless and I feel it's only a matter of time before one of them dies. I thought that by introducing more females to the tank it may drew the attentions of the male endler and male guppy away but it has not changed a thing. Both males completely ignore the females of their own species.

Is this normal? If not can anyone give me some advice on any way to stop this or is it a case of just removing 1 or possibly both males and fostering them on to someone else?

Thank you

Your maternity ward is going to be over run soon ... endlers will probably breed with the guppies aswell...Any females pregnant yet ?

Your maternity ward is going to be over run soon ... endlers will probably breed with the guppies aswell...Any females pregnant yet ?
Not that I can see. Been keeping an eye on things. The males just don't seem interested in the females. If the females were pregnant, would that be why the males are chasing each other and showing more interest in the platty?

Not sure ,but I had an endlers that constantly chased a female guppy .even more when she started dropping fry . Are you sure it's a male ?

Not sure ,but I had an endlers that constantly chased a female guppy .even more when she started dropping fry . Are you sure it's a male ?
Yeh definitely a male guppy. Has a massive flared multi colour tail. It's a strange one, can not find anything about it on the internet. I think I'm going to have to take the guppy out and see if settles the endler down and gives the platty some space.

Yeh definitely a male guppy. Has a massive flared multi colour tail. It's a strange one, can not find anything about it on the internet. I think I'm going to have to take the guppy out and see if settles the endler down and gives the platty some space.
Large finnage in guppies doesn't have to be gender related. There are also female guppies with larger colored finnage. If you want to be sure, post some pictures of them overhere.

Large finnage in guppies doesn't have to be gender related. There are also female guppies with larger colored finnage. If you want to be sure, post some pictures of them overhere.
Thank you. I've managed to get a picture if both the guppy and endler, while the endler was chasing it, not a great picture but hopefully good enough. They both look male to me but you guys are far more experienced in this than me so any help I greatly appreciate.

Attachments

• 20210823_183145.jpg
    20210823_183145.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 69
Yes , definitely male as far as I know. Are you looking to breed them ? I let mine breed for a short while ,it was good fun an interesting. But it can soon get out of control and your tank will get overstocked. I only have males now . They have no ladies to fight over so there all peaceful..😁

Yes , definitely male as far as I know. Are you looking to breed them ? I let mine breed for a short while ,it was good fun an interesting. But it can soon get out of control and your tank will get overstocked. I only have males now . They have no ladies to fight over so there all peaceful..😁
It's my sons tank to be honest. He's 11 and I used to have fish when I was his age so when he shown an interest I was like, yeh lets do it. He asked if he could breed them and I thought yeh, we'll do the guppies and it won't be long before he changes his mind once he see's the amount of fry!! Maybe that's the way forward? Take the females out then there's nothing to fight over.

Yes, both are male. Chasing one another is pretty normal, even when they're of the same sex. It could also be a dominant thing. See, who's the alpha around here. If that's the case, then it will be a temporary issue. Once they know their place, they'll act normal...

Yes, both are male. Chasing one another is pretty normal, even when they're of the same sex. It could also be a dominant thing. See, who's the alpha around here. If that's the case, then it will be a temporary issue. Once they know their place, they'll act normal...
Thank you, I'll keep an eye on things.

It's my sons tank to be honest. He's 11 and I used to have fish when I was his age so when he shown an interest I was like, yeh lets do it. He asked if he could breed them and I thought yeh, we'll do the guppies and it won't be long before he changes his mind once he see's the amount of fry!! Maybe that's the way forward? Take the females out then there's nothing to fight over.
Yeah sure I'd let them breed a bit .it will be exciting for your son . Just out of curiosity, your not from Armagh in northern Ireland? I'm just beside it in monaghan

Yeah sure I'd let them breed a bit .it will be exciting for your son . Just out of curiosity, your not from Armagh in northern Ireland? I'm just beside it in monaghan
I am from Armagh yes. I live in England now though, just north of Birmingham. Been over here for about 18 years now but never forget my roots hence the username :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back