Male Cherry Barb With Bulge Just Behind Abdomen? Internal Parasite?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BrookieB86

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm having some issues with my 75 gal live planted community tank after being forced to replace the filter with an uncycled new filter after the old one started leaking BADLY! I am now running a Fluval 406. All of the water parameters are fine: Ammonia - 0, Nitrate - 0, Nitrite, 0. There are currently 26 fish all together in the tank, including 3 cherry barbs; 1 female and 2 males, and I've noticed that one of the males has some sort of bulge just behind his abdominal area on his side (see photo and apologies for not being able to rotate the image and the photo-bomb by the clown loach).
I'm not sure whether this is some sort of internal parasite or not, I've never seen it before. He seems to be doing fine despite this abnormality, hes not gasping, staying to himself, flashing, or anything else along those lines.
Should I try treating the whole tank with epsom salt to see if that clears anything up? I have a hospital tank that is currently occupied by one of my kribensis cichlids that has what appears to be bloat that I am treating with Clout so I'm not sure if moving him to the hospital tank is feasible.
So far all of his tankmates seem to be doing completely fine, including the other 2 cherry barbs, 3 tiger barbs, 3 discus (this whole tank will be converted into a strictly discus tank as soon as my 55 gal is done cycling so that I can move fish, but so far everyone gets along well), 2 golden dojo loaches, 1 clown loach, 1 platy, 2 neon tetras, 1 red finned shark, 1 bala shark, 2 bushy-nosed plecos, 1 glow tetra, 2 kribensis cichlids (one of which is in the hospital tank), 2 paradise fish, 1 golden gourami, and 1 blue gourami. I know this is a melting pot of fish, my boyfriend doesn't seem to understand that you shouldn't just throw any fish together but I don't know how it works, it just does...
Any help would be really appreciated!!

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 319
Holy cow, That stock is just awful. You honestly have to do something with the fish, If it's going discus all you want in there is purely discus. 

As for the barb, Could be overfeeding .Tried the pea method ?

I haven't tried dried peas yet, I'm actually not too familiar with the effects but I will look into it further, I have seen it mentioned here and there. I don't think its overfeeding although I'm sure its possible as with all things. I do a small pinch of flakes in the morning and blood worms and brine shrimp in the evening. I keep an eye on the food and make sure to remove anything that doesn't get eaten (which doesn't happen often at all). Maybe I'll forego the morning flakes until the discus switch is made. I agree that the stock is less than desireable (don't tell the bf) and as soon as the 55 gal is cycled this will absolutely be strictly discus :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back