Male Cherry Barb Issues

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

heymissmiles

Reaction score
Hello,

Around a week ago I picked up 10 cherry barbs (~4 males, 6 females) and 4 kuhli loaches. All fish seem fine except the males. One of them is acting very unwell and appears as though his tail fin is drooping. He is lethargic and has ripped tail fins. After observing him for a while I started to notice the other males were directly targeting him and it seems like all the males have been fighting. I separated him and am floating him in a tupperware in the tank because I was afraid they were going to kill him. There has been a lot of mating behavior since I got them but I didn't notice anything healthwise until today and I look at them daily. Any thoughts?

Tank size: 40 breeder
pH: ~7.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0 (a little orange)
kH: x
gH: x
tank temp: 76 degrees

Dark head with SLIGHT lump (lump may be normal), lethargy, drooping tail, aggression between males

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 2 times a week

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Sponge filter (cycled)

Tank inhabitants: 10 cherry barbs, 4 kuhli loaches

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): x

Exposure to chemicals: None that I know of

Male in bottom of pic

87175125_218723312857713_6303532932640276480_n.jpg

You may want to see if you can return him to your LFS if he is being constantly attacked that or quarantine him until he heals but you may run into the same problem when you return him to the tank.

You may want to see if you can return him to your LFS if he is being constantly attacked that or quarantine him until he heals but you may run into the same problem when you return him to the tank.
They won’t take him back. Do you think if I add more cherry barbs that the problem will not be so intense?

I was actually looking at having cherry barbs for my new 30 gallon tank I have been working on and in the process of researching them. In the past I only had 2 at the most many years ago. With many fish adding to the numbers helps, I am not sure with cherry bards yet.

You have 4 males and 6 females. Ratio should be at least 2 females for every male if not more. Since you have 4 males you need at least 8 females if not more. Personally id go 3 females for every male which would give you 12 females for your 4 males.

Update: Added 10 more cherry barbs, 2 male & 8 female. They are doing MUCH better and still nip at each other occasionally but aren't trying to kill each other. Thanks everyone! I'll update if I see anymore issues.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back