Male Betta Probelm

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppylover

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Recently a few days ago my male betta been acting funny. When ever he tries to swim on the top of his tank it looks like his tail and fins are weighing him down because he always swims on a angel... this never happened before so what's wrong? My betta also seems to rest a lot at the bottom on the tank.
He still eats and flares at the fish in my 10 Gal (I placed his tank next to my 10 Gal).
What wrong? Was it something I did?

if hes swimming on an angle and he sits on the bottom he might be getting(dont no age of betta) or he could be getting swim bladder disease.

if it was swimbaldder, he would probably be floating as opposed to sinking.
does het jet ot the top for air and then fall back to the bottom?
what do you keep him in? how often do you change the water? what do you feed him? is there a bubblenest?

no sure way to tell the age (at least i dont htink there is -_- ) if you got him from a pet store chances are he was a year or older. bettas live about 3-4 years.

jacblades said:
if it was swimbaldder, he would probably be floating as opposed to sinking.
does het jet ot the top for air and then fall back to the bottom?
what do you keep him in? how often do you change the water? what do you feed him? is there a bubblenest?

no sure way to tell the age (at least i dont htink there is -_- ) if you got him from a pet store chances are he was a year or older. bettas live about 3-4 years.
actually the betta either will be floating or on the bottom because if it were on the bottom then the disease would be not mixing the chemicals in swim bladder to rise and vise versa when on top.

UeberFabtasticBetta said:
if it were on the bottom then the disease would be not mixing the chemicals in swim bladder to rise and vise versa when on top.
huh? can you reword that? i have no idea what you just said.

He dosen't float or jet to the top of the tank for air then fall back to the bottom.
I keep him in a 8 Gallon and do 20% water changes everyday. Yes there is a bubblenest (a small one in the corner), he use to make real big bubble nest but now only small ones :-(
I don't know what's wrong :-( Right now he is resting on the bottom again...

:rofl: sorry, swim bladder disease can either effect how the betta rises in the water or how hes falls in the water, and if you dont know how a swim bladder works is has certain gases that it fills with making the betta travel vertically. so for instance if the betta is having trouble with a gas that makes him rise to the top he'll be at the bottom and other way around if he cant go down.

i had a betta that has swim bladder disease and he couldnt go up. also thier is some bloating when a betta has swim bladder disease.

ive never heard of swim bladder causig a betta to sink. (i didnt know they could be 'deflated')

guppylover-it doesnt sound too serious. hes happy if hes blowing a nest but i would still watch him closely for any other odd symptoms. congrats for keeping him in an 8 gal! he must be a spolied fish!

jacblades said:
ive never heard of swim bladder causig a betta to sink. (i didnt know they could be 'deflated')

guppylover-it doesnt sound too serious. hes happy if hes blowing a nest but i would still watch him closely for any other odd symptoms. congrats for keeping him in an 8 gal! he must be a spolied fish!
your right it is alittle more common in them to float but some do sink.

Thank you UeberFabtasticBetta and jacblades,
I'll keep an eye out on him, I was a bit worried because this new resting on the bottom of the tank and swimming weighed down was a real change in behaviours.
I always felt sorry for the betta because they were kept in a small container in the fish store so I got an 8gal and bought on then placed it in there.

It is normal for male bettas to have scars along their bodies? Mine has a deep scar down his face and a few along his body. He always had these ever since I had him and he was never troubled by them... but I just wasnt to know.

Guppylover said:
It is normal for male bettas to have scars along their bodies? Mine has a deep scar down his face and a few along his body. He always had these ever since I had him and he was never troubled by them... but I just wasnt to know.
he probably has scars from getting bullied by another betta. lfs bettas arent treated very well. im sure from his time of birth in probably a 1 gallon bowl, he went to a tiny bottle and then to a series of tiny cups, the last being in the pet store and now he has an 8 gallon tank! (i always think about that when i get a new lfs betta-that what im putting him in is probably the biggest thing he has ever seen) anyways-i digress...

*Update*

...things are not getting better... and are getting a little bit worse :-( ...
Flameheart (his name) still tends to rest at the bottom of the tank normal hiding behind his favourite shell or on top of the Java Moss. He still eats but latley I have noticed two tears on his tail, I'm pretty sure this is because whenever he want to swim to the surface he has to move his tail a lot and it dosen't look too good... He only stays near the surface when I feed him but otherwise he rests on the bottom.
Does anyone know how to cure this? I added active carbon to the filter to get rid of anything bad that might be in the water and do water changes every second day.

I hate to get you down, but one of my betta's was acting the same way. Always resting on the bottom and having a really hard time staying anywhere but the bottom. He was also jetting to the surface as fast as he could to get a breath, and then just dropping right back to the bottom. He was like that about a week before he died. I tried betta max and it seemed to help a little, but I was probably too late. I think it was a interior bacterial infection, but I never could find out for sure. Good luck with yours!

UeberFabtasticBetta said:
:rofl: sorry, swim bladder disease can either effect how the betta rises in the water or how hes falls in the water, and if you dont know how a swim bladder works is has certain gases that it fills with making the betta travel vertically. so for instance if the betta is having trouble with a gas that makes him rise to the top he'll be at the bottom and other way around if he cant go down.

i had a betta that has swim bladder disease and he couldnt go up. also thier is some bloating when a betta has swim bladder disease.
I will have to agree with this. I have a betta with the same problem. Also known as belly-gliding. But yes, it does sound like SBD.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back