Male Betta In A Community Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AtomicPleco

Reaction score
I have heard that sometimes it works great other times not so much thinking about giveing it a shot, i have a 75 Gallon tank with Platty's Endlers's Guppy's Sword's and some other misc fish

My main concer is that the bettta will attack the male guppys because of there bright colour thinking its a male betta. Also how many female should i get along with it?

Yeah it's not advisable to have guppy's in with a Betta because of their falshing fins. Anything with flowy fins really. The others would be fine. You cannot keep females with a male.

Bettas can work as community fish but you have to be a bit careful.

Yes, they can attack others with flowing fins (guppies) and some have problems with gouramis too.

But on the other hand, they're very susceptible to getting stressed by fast fish that dart about, or nippy fish which tear up their flowing fins. it definitely can be done though :)

Another aspect is personality. I had a betta in a 48 gallon community tank just fine with fish that had long fins (Long-fin skirt tetras, lyretail swordtails, etc) and some fish that even looked like other bettas (golden panchax killies). He never tried to attack anything, he was just a very peaceful betta.

The betta will most likely attack the guppies. If you want to have a community tank with a betta the use dull fish. also If you put a male and female in the tank they will not breed like guppies do. The male or even a female will kill the other. If you really want a betta then you could try a female one. i dont recomend it though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back