male Betta fish may have pop-eye?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dohaver

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is Betta-Mom, I am back again. Since my last post, Fishie's fin and body rot has healed. He is swimming, eating, but hiding out of the light. I noticed his left eye is puffy. Could this be Pop-Eye? How do I treat it. All comments are welcome.

Attachments

• 20180111_175417.jpg
    20180111_175417.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 2,433
Can you get more pictures of different angles? One from the top and then one of either side would work. Is the eye cloudy at all? Cloudy-ness means infection of some sort, either bacterial or fungal in nature.

I have only had one betta with pop eye and it took ages for him to recover from it. Rather than the eye ball being effected, there was a pocket of fluid just behind the eye that would deflate and swell up again. I tried treating with fungus guard (also treats bacterial issues) and then epsom salt baths. Neither worked very well and I just kept up with water changes. Eventually the eye went back to normal.

I'll need more picture to be sure, but if it is cloudy then I'd treat him with something that works on fungal and bacterial infection. Keeping the water clean will help him out too.

Thank you so much for responding. His eye is swollen, the cornea is clear not cloudy. The scales around the eye is puffy. I will try and capture more pictures and follow up with you. How is an Epsom salt bath done? I did a 20% water change.

I tried my best. He doesn't like his light on and runs from me. His left eye is swollen. Neither eyes are cloudy. The right eye is fine. Angle shots are difficult. Thank you so much for looking.

Attachments

• 20180112_181031.jpg
    20180112_181031.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 463
  • 20180112_181105.jpg
    20180112_181105.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 463
  • 20180112_181127.jpg
    20180112_181127.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 486
  • 20180112_181148.jpg
    20180112_181148.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 421
last 4 snapshots.

Attachments

• 20180112_185117.jpg
    20180112_185117.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 425
  • 20180112_175715.jpg
    20180112_175715.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 432
  • 20180112_185337.jpg
    20180112_185337.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 510
  • 20180112_175442.jpg
    20180112_175442.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 421
The left eye is indeed swollen so it is likely the beginning of popeye. For the next few days try doing daily 50% water changes. Extra water changes are proven to help fish heal faster. If the eye does not get worse during these few days, then keep up with the water changes for at least a week and see what happens.

Side note: epsom salts are used to reduce swelling. Take 1 tbs and add it to a gallon of water. Stir it up good and let the betta soak in there for 10-15 minutes. You can do this once a day (I like doing it during water changes when needed). Hopefully just a few baths and extra water changes will help this.

If things get worse then you will need to treat him.

Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate, which you may know as a saline (salt) laxative or a remedy to reduce swelling for humans. It is easily found nearly anywhere, often in first aid aisles and even in gas stations! Please note that humans use Epsom as a means to relax when infused into bathwater, so sometimes it has dyes or is scented. Please only use unscented, undyed Epsom when medicating your fish!

What's Epsom do?:
Epsom has a bunch of uses. Not surprisingly, its uses in fish are very similar to its uses in humans. When used properly in fish, it can act as a laxative as well as a means to reduce swelling. If used correctly in fish that have swim bladder disorder (SBD), epsom can help them swim better and even be able to sink.

What does this mean for my fish?:
These qualities mean you can help a bloated or constipated fish expel backed up waste and feel good again, as well as reduce swelling that may be caused by disease or infection. The swelling Epsom can assist with includes: popeye, external wound infection swelling, and in some cases relieve pressure from dropsy.

How much of this salt per gallon do I use?:
For Epsom, you use 1 TABLEspoon (TBSP) per gallon of water. This is three TEAspoons (TSP).

How long does the betta stay in this mixture?:
In Epsom, the betta should stay in for 10-15 minutes, with 10 being less severe need and 15 being a more severe need. Never exceed this time!

How long should my fish be left to acclimate before going back into its tank in this mixture?:
Acclimate your fish (see below) for 2-5 minutes before going back to avoid shock.

How to prepare (any) dip for your fish:

Prepping for the dip is the same for either salt type. You will need:
  • a clean fish-only 1 gallon container
  • a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • your undivided attention!
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.
  2. Add the salt per recommendation and stir it until it is fully dissolved.
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time!
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your tank, put the fish back into its home to recover.
Sourcehttp://bettasplendid.weebly.com/salt-baths.html

Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate, which you may know as a saline (salt) laxative or a remedy to reduce swelling for humans. It is easily found nearly anywhere, often in first aid aisles and even in gas stations! Please note that humans use Epsom as a means to relax when infused into bathwater, so sometimes it has dyes or is scented. Please only use unscented, undyed Epsom when medicating your fish!

What's Epsom do?:
Epsom has a bunch of uses. Not surprisingly, its uses in fish are very similar to its uses in humans. When used properly in fish, it can act as a laxative as well as a means to reduce swelling. If used correctly in fish that have swim bladder disorder (SBD), epsom can help them swim better and even be able to sink.

These qualities mean you can help a bloated or constipated fish expel backed up waste and feel good again, as well as reduce swelling that may be caused by disease or infection. The swelling Epsom can assist with includes: popeye, external wound infection swelling, and in some cases relieve pressure from dropsy.

For Epsom, you use 1 TABLEspoon (TBSP) per gallon of water. This is three TEAspoons (TSP).

In Epsom, the betta should stay in for 10-15 minutes, with 10 being less severe need and 15 being a more severe need. Never exceed this time!

How long should my fish be left to acclimate before going back into its tank in this mixture?:
Acclimate your fish (see below) for 2-5 minutes before going back to avoid shock.

• a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time!
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your tank, put the fish back into its home to recover.

He tolerated his first 15 minute bath very well. Thank you Nick for the addition steps, cause Lord knows I need them written down one step at a time in complete detail. I have a memory disorder.

The left eye is indeed swollen so it is likely the beginning of popeye. For the next few days try doing daily 50% water changes. Extra water changes are proven to help fish heal faster. If the eye does not get worse during these few days, then keep up with the water changes for at least a week and see what happens.

Side note: epsom salts are used to reduce swelling. Take 1 tbs and add it to a gallon of water. Stir it up good and let the betta soak in there for 10-15 minutes. You can do this once a day (I like doing it during water changes when needed). Hopefully just a few baths and extra water changes will help this.

I so appreciate your help. I know this forum takes up muc

thank you for your help and of your time as others on this forum need your help, I am not the only fish Mom in a big pond. I will continue to make sure the water changes are consistent. He tolerated his 1st 15 min. bath. Deb ❤

Hi,
I have been treating my male betta for pop-eye, using the Epsom salt daily for 15 minutes. This is day 4 and his eye is starting to get cloudy and his good eye looks to be getting affected.
He is swimming and eating like a champ. What steps do I need to take now that this has not improved. Please advise. The fungus treatment says to add a full packet to a 10 gal. tank. I didn't buy it because I have no idea how to mathematically determine how much to add in a 2.5 gal tank, with an inch of gravel. Sunday, I took out 50% of the water with him in it, washed the gravel with only hot water, washed the acrylic 2.5 gal bowl inside with only hot water. I took out the old filter cartridge, rinsed the debris from the charcoal of the clean cartridge with the tank water till it ran clean. I rinsed the live Java Fern plants and moss balls & placed them back in after I put the gravel back 50% old water and 50% clean water. I checked the water paramaters and 0 nitrite and nitrate, 7.0 pH, KH 80, GH 180.
Thank you in advance. I love this fish.

Attachments

• 20180116_184804.jpg
    20180116_184804.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 453
  • 20180116_184826.jpg
    20180116_184826.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 430
  • 20180116_184847.jpg
    20180116_184847.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 418
Hi,
I have been treating my male betta for pop-eye, using the Epsom salt daily for 15 minutes. This is day 4 and his eye is starting to get cloudy and his good eye looks to be getting affected.
He is swimming and eating like a champ. What steps do I need to take now that this has not improved. Please advise. The fungus treatment says to add a full packet to a 10 gal. tank. I didn't buy it because I have no idea how to mathematically determine how much to add in a 2.5 gal tank, with an inch of gravel. Sunday, I took out 50% of the water with him in it, washed the gravel with only hot water, washed the acrylic 2.5 gal bowl inside with only hot water. I took out the old filter cartridge, rinsed the debris from the charcoal of the clean cartridge with the tank water till it ran clean. I rinsed the live Java Fern plants and moss balls & placed them back in after I put the gravel back 50% old water and 50% clean water. I checked the water paramaters and 0 nitrite and nitrate, 7.0 pH, KH 80, GH 180.
Thank you in advance. I love this fish.

3 more pictures

Attachments

• 20180116_184934.jpg
    20180116_184934.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 377
  • 20180116_185001.jpg
    20180116_185001.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 399
  • 20180116_191639.jpg
    20180116_191639.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 405

What's Epsom do?:

• a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Nick, My betta's left eye is clouding. I need to medicate him. I left a response to Demeter32 with more pictures but haven't heard back from her. I am worried. Please take a look at my most recent threads. Thank you for the Help if you have a way to reach her for me.
Deb

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back