Male betta acting lathargic. =(

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Raechal

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Okay so lately my male betta has been moving all over the place! First he was in a 10 gallon with strong current and his tail started to grow black edges and look rather tattered so I removed him from there and put him in a 2 gallon bowl with now current. He didn't seem to like it much as he really had no room to swim around. So I found an old 10 gallon I had a few months ago and set it up in my room. I got the temp right and added gravel from a cycled tank to it as well as some decor from my cycled tanks. :thumbs:

He had a mixture of salt and melafix in his bowl and he seemed to be fine. When I lifted the cover to where the mirror is behind him, he would flare immediately and get really active. Now that he is in the 10 gallon he is really lathargic and hangs out in a top corner all of the time. I didn't add any salt to the 10 gallon but only added the melafix. Could this be causing it? :dunno:

I don't have an airstone I could put in his tank so I added a bunch of live plants to give more oxygen in the water. Is this enough or do I NEED the airstone? I am so depressed because he looks so sad. He won't even flare at the mirror and yesterday he seemed to be doing so good! :dunno: Besides the small swimming space, he even blew a TINY bubblenest lastnight and it was his FIRST one! :wub:

maybe all the recent changes were VERY stressful to him...you used dechorinator and all the other steps in the tank change, right!

newfishies said:
maybe all the recent changes were VERY stressful to him...you used dechorinator and all the other steps in the tank change, right!
Yep, I did everything I was supposed to do. Maybe he will be back to his old self in a day or two. :dunno: He showed stress bars today when I moved him tp his 10 gallon. I will give it a day or two and if he doesn't improve I will post back here for more advice. :thumbs:

yep hes poberby just stressed,keep him in quiet dark room if possible to help him recover hope he makes it!

I kept the lights off all day for him and he is still acting weird. He looks a lot lighter in color as well. :dunno:

The little guy is VERY stressed out from all the changes.
Don't make any more changes with him for several days - none.
Make sure you keep an eye on him for anything like tail biting or ick. If those show up, you might have quite a fight on your hands - battling stress.

Good luck to you.

BettaMomma said:
The little guy is VERY stressed out from all the changes.
Don't make any more changes with him for several days - none.
Make sure you keep an eye on him for anything like tail biting or ick. If those show up, you might have quite a fight on your hands - battling stress.

Good luck to you.
Okie dokie. I have been giving him some extra blood worms (his fav) to kind of get him to feel more at home. :nod: Should I forget about water changes as well for like a week or will that make his health even worse?

I am currently treating him with melafix and salt. Should I stop the treatments until he starts acting like himself again?

Most reactions

trending

Back